After spending the night in Festus MO, I headed up I-55 to downtown St. Louis. Due to road construction and detours, getting to Poplar St. was not as easy as I had planned. $4.00 parking was available near the site which was adjacent to the Amtrak station. Even before opening a little before 9:00 a.m. there was a big crowd.
1. Power car UPP 2066 is an ex-postal storage car. The Amtrak station is in the background. Sunday, 08-29-2021.
2. A long line had already formed waiting to walk through the multi-media exhibition car UPP 5752 “Promontory”. The line was always long – even at 4:00 PM – so I didn’t go see it. UP 4014 Exhibition.
3. UPP tool storage car 5714 “Lynn Nystrom”.
4. UPP steam boiler and electric generator car 209 “Howard Fogg”. The late Howard Fogg is perhaps the best known railroad subject artist in history.
5. SD70M 4015 has its original number. SD70M 4014 was renumbered 4479.
6. UP 4015 SD70M. View 2.
7. Big Boy Fast Facts. Click here for a larger image.
8. A free souvenir. UP 4014 fan.
9. Note the hinged folding door at the back of the cab. Big Boy cabs were hot in summer, but the jacket and backhead lagging was removed in the Fall as preparation for those Wyoming winter blizzards. UP 4014.
10. UP 4014. Resoration plate.
11. Just in front of the team member’s ladder is the ALCo power reverse and the Walschaert valve gear on the rear engine. That thing in the left lower corner that looks like the Star of David is the crosshead retaining nut with a wire retainer. UP 4014.
12. UP 4014. Builder plate.
13. One cross-compound air pump was located on each side of the pilot. With such a big smoke box door they couldn’t be hung on the front like the C&O H-8 etc. My camera sun shade got in the way on these wide-angle shots. UP 4014.
14. IDTX (Illinois Dept. of Transportation) Siemens “Charger” 4622 is assigned to Amtrak Midwest’s Lincoln Service. UP 4014 & IDTX 4622.
15. UP 4014 & IDTX 4622. View 2.
16. Contrast! UP 4014 & IDTX 4622. View 3.
17. Pyle-National headlight and marker lights. Air operated bell. UP 4014.
18. UP 4014.
19. Front right cylinder. Big steam delivery pipe on top; exhaust pipe below. Lubrication lines are on top, bottom, front, back and on each valve bushing. The long piston rods had to be lubricated continuously. UP 4014.
20. I’m heading up on the bridge next. UP 4014.