Here are some hoppers and tubs I’ve shot over the last year in various places. Coal cars change owners as much as coal companies!
1. TVAX hopper 95001 (Tennessee Valley Authority) built by Thrall 09-1995. In Paducah & Louisville yard at Paducah KY on 10-23-2020.
2. TVAX hopper 62189 built by Johnstown-American 11-1998. It’s ex-CEFX, nee-JAIX. Paducah KY.
3. TVAX hopper 933933 built by J-A 06-1997. Ex-NDYX. nee-BNSF. Paducah KY.
4. TVAX hopper 16302 built by Freight Car America at their Johnstown PA plant in 09-2005. Ex-GBRX, nee-MBKX. Paducah KY.
5. TVAX hopper 67419 was built by Freight Car America at their Danville IL plant 09-2005. It is ex-CEFX. Paducah KY.
6. TVAX hopper 61021 built by Johnstown-America 08-1994. Ex-CEFX, nee-MCHX. Paducah KY.
7. TVAX hopper 933874 was built Johnstown-America in 2007. It is ex-BNSF. All shot on 10-23-2020 at South Yard in Paducah KY.
8. TVAX hopper 93143 at Bluford IL on CN (IC) was built by Thrall in 06-1993. It is ex-GGPX, exx-COGX, nee-MPSX (Missouri Public Service). Probably a move from an Illinois mine south on the Bluford District, then to the P&L at Paducah to the barge transfer at Grand Rivers KY for TVA. 08-26-2021.
9. TILX hopper 421137 on the TVA train at Paducah KY. It was built by Trinity in 08-2007 for their lease fleet. Must have been wrecked and rebuilt...too clean!
10. TILX hopper 421423 stored in NS at Mt. Carmel IL. Built by Trinity 2008.
11. DKPX (Duke Energy) 200261 was built by Johnstown-America 06-2002. Shelby KY. 04-03-2021.
12. AEPX (American Electric Power) gon 7552 was built by Trinity 11-2004. It is ex-COEH. Watco Companies coal terminal at Cora IL. 08-28-2021.
13. ITFX (Infinity Transportation LLC) gon 533636 was built by Bethlehem Steel-Johnstown 07-1990. It is ex-BNLX (Burlington Northern Leasing). Cora IL. 08-28-2021.
14. SEPX (Southwestern Electric Power, a part of AEP) gon 7337 was built by Johnstown American 06-1997. Cora IL. On AEPX train.
15. RWSX 94491 on BNSF e/b coal train passing through St. Louis MO on 08-29-2021. A Georgia Power car originally lettered for the Robert W. Scherer power plant near Macon. The plant is operated by Georgia Power but owned jointly by several other utilities. Perhaps that was why it has RWSX instead of the usual GALX reporting mark. It’s a huge plant, and gets 2-5 trains a day. BNSF hands off these PRB coal trains to NS at Memphis. Two of the plants four units will be decommissioned in the next few years.
16. Never mind that obsolete, noisy, smelly, polluting piece of junk in the background, ACEX (Associated Electric Power Cooperative) 1016 was built by J-A. Passing through St. Louis MO on BNSF. 08-29-2021.
17. UP tub 28909 passing through St. Louis MO on an e/b coal train.
18. UP tub 29103. St Louis MO.
19. MBKX (Mitsui Rail Capital LLC) 452705 stored at Mt. Carmel IL was built for GALX (Georgia Power) by FCA-Roanoke 01-2009.
20. JEPX (Duke Energy Indiana) was built by Trinity 07-2007. This location is by the NS Cairo Br. (ex-Sou, nee-NYC) to the big Duke Energy (FKA Public Service of Indiana) power plant at East Mt. Carmel IN. My how these cars have managed to stay clean. CSX tubs make one trip and the whole train is “tagged.” JEPX hopper 421045 at Mt Carmel IL.
21. JEPX hopper 091104 was built at FCA-Roanoke 03-2009. Mt Carmel IL.
22. JEPX hopper 319 is stored near the power plant at East Mt. Carmel IN. It was built by J-A in 12-1999.
23. NS hopper 302318 was built in 1981 as a coal hopper and “rebody” in 11-1999 as a 5,485 cubic foot coke hopper. Stored at Vulcan WV on 11-2005. Devon WV.
24. NS 802803 was built 10-1975 and got the “rebody” 5-2000. It’s load limit is 216,900 lb. even though the volume is greater. Coke is lighter as its undesirable elements for a steel making fuel have been distilled out. Devon WV.
All for now.