1. C&O 6021 et al stopped briefly at Collista KY on Dawkins SD. 02-1979. Right-of-way is now the Dawkins Rail Trail. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
2. Another view of C&O 6021. The engine had some damage to the front. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
3. C&O 3043 on the Skyline Shifter with empties at Sublett KY. 05-10-1980. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
4. C&O 6022 w/b Skyline Shifter toward Paintsville near Carver with loads. Dawkins SD. 05-10-1980. Being out in the “boonies”, these guys gave me a cab ride over to Evanston and back!! Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
5. C&O 6022 about to dive into Gun Creek Tunnel. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
6. C&O 6022 et al struggle up the steep grade to Gun Creek Tunnel with 65x out of Evanston. 07-30-1977. Note that 6022 was leading both of these trains although three years apart! Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
7. This now is part of the Dawkins Rail Trail and you can walk through the tunnel! C&O Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
8. C&O 6196 heads east near Prestonsburg KY, on the Middle Creek SD with empties for the mine at David. 10-1971. This line has been dormant for years. You can’t take this photo even if there was a train because of a huge stand of pine trees. I think Middle Creek may soon be abandoned and re-purposed as another rail trail. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
9. C&O 6191-6176 arrives at the tipple at Manton KY on the Stephens Branch SD to deliver more empties. 08-1981. All is gone now. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
10. C&O 6176-6191 return to Martin Yard lite without pulling any loads. 08-1981. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
11. C&O 4826-4284-4182 head up the Long Fork SD at Salisbury (Printer, KY post office) with empties. 02-1981. The spur to the Spurlock Mine crossing the bridge in the background is very active, but the rest of the line to Price has been inactive for years. Dawkins Middle Crk SD.
12. Long Fork Tunnels 5 and 4 at MP 17 near Hi Hat KY on Long Fork SD. 11-1983. These were covered over by improvements to KY 122. C&O Dawkins Middle Crk SD.