All of the subsequent photos I pulled for the Decades of Change were not scanned, as the author chose to close further submissions. Before I file them back I thought I might share them with you.
1. East end of Peach Creek Yard with the lead to the engine terminal holding 724 and 5796. The main line here was single track. CTC rules applied here to West Peach Creek where double track ABS commenced. Note the switch lamps and speakers. I think the blue building must have been a switchman’s shanty. 10-16-1973. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
2. At dusk on 12-30-1974, C&O 3882 comes back west from the empty yard in front of the yardmaster’s cubicle (dig that vintage automobile). 5893-6048 and stopped on the main line in the distance (the YM controlled the single track east to FD Cabin). The large “Railroad” YMCA is on the right. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
3. U30Cs 3305-3301 have minor carbody differences discussed in C&O Diesel Review. 04-30-1978. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
4. Like you’all, when I look at these images I look at details and wonder the what and why. Back them – if you weren’t a modeler – locomotives and maybe some rolling stock were the main points of focus. I was at these locations only briefly. There was always another train to chase. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
5. An SD40 or SD35 – following the utilization of the ALCos – was usually found working the loaded yard. 06-17-1978. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
6. C&O 7553. View 2. Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
7. The operator at FD Cabin, located between the east end of Peach Creek yard and downtown Logan, handed up orders to departing e/b mine runs. He controlled signals under the supervision of the dispatcher at Peach Creek. I think that mobile home in the distance sits on the tram road of an old mine whose piers are still in the river. The tipple was in the area occupied by the camp cars. 01-05-1975. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
8. The continuous operators here could record 24 moves in a 24-hour period. That would be all trains up and down the river as well as everything on the Island Creek side. 04-30-1978. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
9. A mine run drifts in with an ex-Pere Marquette caboose. 04-30-1978. C&O Peach Creek-FD Cabin.
All for today. It’s Labor Day, but I need to labor out in the yard.