1. CSX e/b T173-23 behind 585-897-500-7376 arrives Shelby with 104 empty VAPX and TILX rapid discharge hoppers for Myra mine. 12-26-2016.
2. CSX “CW44AH” 500 “Spirit of Grafton.” This unit weighs 432,000 lbs. and has other features that classify it as a high tractive effort unit. Shelby.
3. “C&O” C40-8W 7376 is actually an ex-Conrail unit. Shelby.
4. CSX 7376. C&O. View 2. Shelby.
5. CSX 7376. C&O. View 3. Shelby.
6. CSX 585-897-500-7376. Shelby.
7. CSX 7376 C&O. View 5. Shelby.
8. CSX 7376 C&O. View 6. Shelby. That water tank in the background is the last steam-era structure remaining at Shelby. 12-26-2016.
9. Premier Elkhorn Coal’s clean coal stockpile at the Myra Mine on the SV&E Subdivision. 05-21-2016. At that time Premier was loading about 6 trains for Virginia Power each month.
10. Stacking tube at Premier Elkhorn. Coal for different customers can be stored in separate stockpiles.
11. Premier specialty coal stockpile.
12. Premier Elkhorn prep plant. Myra. Prep. plant and specialty coal stockpile. This was taken on a Saturday when it was idle. 05-21-2016.
13. Past and present mining areas at Premier’s Myra Mine. These were taken on the tour for the N&W Historical Society that was held in Pikeville last year.
14. CSX 8388-8853 are ready to go west with empty ethanol train K446-07. The train has 80 empty tankers and a buffer car on each end. This train came over the old SAL and CRR and was an unexpected surprise. 04-09-2017. Shelby.
15. 8388 is a SD40-2 upgraded from a SD40. 8853 is an ex-Conrail SD40-2. Shelby.
16. CSX 8388-8853. View .2 Shelby. K446-07 departs on the main as an empty train arrives up the yard lead.
17. James River Coal’s “zombie” 101218 departed the idled Sunny Knott Mine near Lackey for parts unknown. Martin KY. 04-08-2017.
18. This engine arrived at the tipple in the early ‘80s when it was owned by National Mines Corp. James River Coal zombie 101218. View 2. Martin KY.
19. James River Coal zombie 101218. View 3. Martin KY. Someone reported seeing it at Willard OH.
20. James River Coal zombie 101218. View 4. Martin KY.
21. The controls. James River Coal zombie 101218. Martin KY.
22. James River Coal zombie 101218. The controls.View 2. Martin KY. There are few mine switchers left in the coal fields. Those tipples still operating load unit trains.
An eastbound freight went by tonight with about five engines and 86 cars. I hear through manifest, service may return to the Big Sandy and Kingsport Subs. Let us hope.