In between activities at the C&O Historical Society conference we spent some time trackside on the CSX James River Subdivision.
1. Riverside Park Historic Train Exhibit sign. Lynchburg.
2. C&O 2760 at Riverside Park. Lynchburg.
3. C&O 2760 at Riverside Park. View 2. Lynchburg.
4. C&O 2760 Riverside Park Preservation sign. Lynchburg.
5. VGN cab 64 Riverside Park. Lynchburg.
6. CSX 6493 on H744 (Lynchburg-Balcony Falls local) works a paper industry at Big Island VA on Thursday, August 23rd.
7. The local is working off Waugh passing siding. CSX 6493. View 2. Big Island VA.
8. CSX 8531-7801 brought this eastbound VAPX coal train by the East End of Waugh siding on 07-12-1998. James River SD.
9. C&O depot on 10-12-1980. Big Island. James River SD.
10. CSX 5216 departs Lynchburg with w/b Q303 after working Sandy Hook Yard. CSX 5216. Lynchburg VA.
11. To our regret H744 disappears around the curve e/b as we show up at Sandy Hook Yard. CSX 2524. Lynchburg VA.
12. GP38-2 2524 is parked under the coal dock. It still has the chutes! CSX 2524. View 2. Lynchburg VA.
13. Abandoned ND Cabin, Twelfth St. or N&W Crossing. The old N&W main between the union station and Island Yard crossed the C&O here. Lynchburg.
14. ND looked a little better on 03-20-1977. It was listed in the 1948 timetable but was closed before 1964. James River SD.
15. NC Cabin on 07-11-1998 (our first convention in Lynchburg). NC was a continuous train order office in 1964 but was closed by 1966. James River SD.
16. C&O 5873 Sandy Hook Yard on 03-20-1977. James River SD.
17. CSX 5517 parked at Sandy Hook on 07-11-1998. James River SD.
18. CSX 5517. View 2. James River SD.
19. CSX 8320-8073 depart Sandy Hook Yard at Lynchburg with w/b Q303 and 84 cars. 07-11-1998. This location is much the same today except for a newer cantilever signal. James River SD.
20. From the north side of Southern’s bridge, C&O e/b No. 92 heads toward downtown Lynchburg along the James River. 08-02-1987. James River SD.
21. CSX 8484-7889 are eastbound at Reusens with 152 loads which included 90 grain. 07-11-1998. James River SD.
22. H744 leaves Sandy Hook for Reusens on Friday, 08-24-2018. CSX 2524. Lynchburg VA.
23. Those DODX boxcars were moved from Mechanicsburg PA to Mt. Athos VA. NS interchanged them to CSX. BWX Technologies’ BWXT Nuclear Operations Group has a large facility at Kelly which is at or near Mt. Athos (probably a siding on the railroad). This was formerly Babcock & Wilcox, the boiler people. You can read about what they do on their website. CSX 2524. View 2. Lynchburg VA.
24. CSX 2524. View 3. Lynchburg VA.
25. H744 switches Appalachian Tank Car Services at Reusens. CSX 2524. View 4. Reusens VA.
26. CSX 2524. View 5. Reusens VA.
27. Appalachian Tank Car uses the site of the former E. J. Lavino & Co. ferro manganese plant. One of the old buildings is still in use. Appalachian Tank Car Services. Reusens VA.
28. Appalachian Tank Car Services. View 2. Reusens VA.
29. H744 was instructed to stay in the clear until an eastbound passed. I anticipated a long coal train with DP units. No, I got 4543-4041 pushing a gon on work train W004-24. The gon was stashed at Sandy Hook, and the train proceeded on to Gladstone. The crew was taxied back to Clifton Forge. CSX 4543-4071. Reusens VA.
30. Appalachian Tank Car Services. View 3. Reusens VA.
31. Next I went further out of town on US 550 and turned down Holcomb Rock Rd. A turn at another intersection brought me down to the railroad at Pearch. The westbound signal was green! CSX wb signal EE Pearch VA.
32. CSX 5241 soon rumbled down the valley with a westbound welded rail train. EE Pearch VA.
33. No coal train but at least a caboose. CSX 5241. View 2. EE Pearch VA.
34. N&W’s old main line – now abandoned – crossed the C&O east of Lynchburg at Six Mile. This is a very short distance off US 460. N&W bridge over C&O. Kelly VA.
35. One more view of this perfectly restored Virginian caboose in Riverside Park. In 1998 it was in shambles. Now it looks great! VGN cab 64. Riverside Park. View 2. Lynchburg.
All for now.