1. CR GP9 7466 with 7126-7471 switching at the west end of Dickenson Yard. 09-12-1977.
2. CR 7466 backs into the yard past freshly painted U25B 2608 at the Dickenson engine terminal.
3. CR GP40-2 3220 with 8162-8118 arrives Dickenson Yard from Cornelia with 76 loads/1 empty. 10-18-1986.
4. An eastbound Penn Central behind GP9s 7147-7202 (both ex-PRR) runs along the Kanawha River and US 60 at Longacre. 03-16-1972.
5. Penn Central’s DB Tower train order office just east of Alloy. This is the junction with N&W (former VGN). 08-20-1973.
6. Restored depot at Gauley Bridge. Track in foreground is the connection with the C&O. 03-24-1984.
7. CR SD40-2 6410 with 3200-7718-8259 parked in the west end of Lockwood siding. 04-12-1990.
8. Terry Eagle Coal Company’s Lockwood Belt tipple. 04-12-1990.
9. Terry Eagle Coal Company’s Lockwood Belt tipple. View 2. 04-12-1990.
10. Terry Eagle Coal Company’s Lockwood Belt tipple. View 3. 04-12-1990.
11. Terry Eagle Coal Co. Clearfield prep. plant near Drennen. 04-12-1990.
12. Beth Energy’s High Power Mountain mine near Drennen. 04-12-1990.
13. Conrail SD60 6826 with 6633 on mine run WSDI-40 start loading at High Power Mountain mine on the Jones Industrial Track. 04-12-1990.
14. WSDI-40 starts around the loading loop. This is the only mine that I know of in the Central Appalachia field that has a loop.
15. Peerless Eagle Coal Co. prep. plant at Cornelia on the end of the 13.8-mile Peters Branch SD. 04-12-1990.
16. Majestic Mining’s S-2 #1 had previously been used on the resurrected Buffalo Creek & Gauley. 04-12-1990.
Lockwood Belt tipple is gone. Clearfield is inactive. The branch to Cornelia past the junction with the Jones Industrial Track to the former High Power Mountain mine has been inactive for years. Nicholas Energy (Alpha Natural Resources) operates the former H.P.M. mine, but it doesn’t appear to load a train every day.
The Peters Branch SD appeared in the 1970 NF&G and 1982 C&O W.Va. Div. timetables but was listed as Penn Central.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young