Here are some photos of the Russell wreck train that was used on the north end of the Towers Tunnel head-on collision in 1974. C&O acquired this whole wreck train from the Reading in 1970.
1. WC-31 was built in 1956 by Industrial Brownhoist in 1956. Reading ordered two which became 90901 and 90902. 90902 was sold to the C&O and became WC-31. 90901 was stationed in Philadelphia, while 90902 went to the Rutherford Yard near Harrisburg. 04-24-1974.
2. Russell wreck train. View 2.
3. Russell wreck train. view 3.
4. Russell wreck train. View 4. Note damage to rear of Clinchfield 2006.
5. Russell wreck train. View 5. CRR Caboose.
6. W230 was ex-Reading 90892. Russell wreck train.
7. I’m not sure of the former Reading number on this baggage car nor the vintage of either one. There were several pictures of this equipment in RDG Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment by Craig Bossler (Morning Sun). I wish I had shot the boom flats also. Russell wreck train.