1. Leased DM&IR SD18s 181-179-190-191 negotiate the curvy Greenbrier Branch (“Haysi Railroad”) near Haysi taking empties to supply Clinchfield Coal’s tipple at Vicey. 11-12-1977.
2. Nearing the tipple at Vicey.
3. SBD 8062-1242-8282 come down the Greenbrier Branch at Haysi. Its 11-19-1983 and the Greenbrier Turn will follow the annual Santa Train to Dante.
4. Clinchfield Coal’s GP7 923 works on the Greenbrier Branch at the Crooked Branch tipple. Raw coal loaded here was taken to the Moss 1 prep. plant to be cleaned. 03-28-1989.
5. GP7 923 is ex-SCL. View 2.
6. Clinchfield Coal’s F3b 1 (ex-CRR 852) switched the tipple at Vicey. This end is equipped with a cab window, bell, light, and pin puller. 08-25-1979.
7. CRR 360. This NW2 was acquired from the Apalachicola Northern and used briefly at Elkhorn and Dante. 09-05-1971.
8. CRR 360 pulls cars over the scales at Dante yard office.
9. While passing through on an excursion train, I shot 3008 switching in Dante Yard. 04-27-1974.
10. CRR 2001, 813, and 3021 on a quiet Sunday. 04-27-1975.
11. CRR 800-250-869-200 on the Second Mine Run switch after arriving back from the N&W interchange at Boody. These were the last active F’s on the CRR. 08-08-1981.
12. SCL/L&N 800-250-869-200 parked beside the diesel shop at Dante. 08-08-1981.
13. SCL/L&N 800. View 2.
14. CRR SD40-2 829 with 200 and sister 8128 at Dante shop. 08-08-1981.
15. The Third Mine Run with “GP16” 4609-2000-L&N 7049-CRR 8129 arrive from the north with 46 loads. 08-08-1981. 4609 is a Tampa shop rebuild.
16. SCL SD45s 2004-2010-2020 have the “Yellow Dog Local” at Hamlin just after departing Dante Yard. At one #14 carried local freight, but by this era it is mostly, if not all, coal. 07-08-1973.
17. SD45-2 3618-3610-915-2009 bring #95 n/b at Hamlin VA, on 10-30-1977.
18. CRR 3627-2000 follow at Hamlin with empty hoppers. 10-30-1977.
19. SD45-2 3617-2006-2010 have 140 loads s/b near the north end of Boody passing siding. 03-06-1976.
20. GP11 4604-6000-4605-6003-6001 switch cars at Boody interchange yard with a N&W crew present. A lot of Clinchfield Coal Co. (Pittston) coal went to the N&W for export through Boody. 08-25-1979. No interchange occurs at Boody now.
21. CRR 4604 and a string of others.
22. CRR 3000-3014-2000-2009 have 49 loads of coal southbound over the N&W crossing between Boody and St. Paul. 08-25-1979.
23. L&N 8143-3579-1293-1259 traverses the new connection southbound between the N&W’s Clinch Valley District and the CRR. The L&N coal train originated at Loyall KY, and will likely leave its train at Castle storage track, a couple miles south. Parked on the “Lumber siding” is power for these coal trains. 03-27-1982.