CSX - Big Sandy Misc. Sub. - 6-13-2012
Rail Fan Adventure --
1. Not a unit grass train but close. Debris from a wreck perhaps has been stored in these hoppers long enough that the grass needs weed-eating! Obviously these hoppers have not been earning their cost of capital lately. Shelby on 7-29-11
2. CSX 4740 departs Shelby w/b on the main line with SCWX empties. 10-22-11
3. CSX 4841-4726 are gaining speed with an "Extra South" (Clinchfield parlance) passing Levisa Jct. on 11-12-11. The coal train has a two-unit pusher.
4. CSX 5281-7396 wait at Fords Branch with an e/b grain train for permission to enter the yard. The tiny post office still serves this small but picturesque community. 11-12-11
5. CSX 633-928 depart Shelby with a "Pike 29 Shifter" up the Sandy Valley & Elkhorn Sub. on 11-13-11. An eastbound coal train is arriving on the left. Bethlehem Steel's Pike 29 mine is now Central Appalachia Mining's Damron Fork operation. Old names die slowly if at all.
6. CREX 9043 is a former UP C40-8 that now belongs to Citicorp Railmark Inc. Shelby on 11-24-11.
7. Late in the afternoon CREX 9043 and CSX 4534 departed west with 127 loads of coal on T941-18. The defect detector revealed the train was 6,612 feet long. Betsy Layne, Ky.
8. CSX SD40-2 8369 and GP38-2 2778 at Shelby on a rail train on 12-18-11. The 8369 was formerly a SD40.
9. Freshly shopped and painted GP38-2 2778 at Shelby on 12-18-11. I think those white spots are lubricant for the doors.
10. Brackets for the brake stick and "knuckle mate."
11. Unit is equipped with an air conditioner.
12. CSX SD80MAC 4601 on 12-24-11. These ex-Conrail SD80s are getting fairly rare now.
13. New ES44AC 973 displays the new CSX logo. 1-22-12. The new 3000s are in this scheme.
14. CSX 711 and 363 encountered a slide near Harold. It was scraped up quite a bit. No. 363 mostly got muddy. 11-22-12.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young
last update - 25 Aug 2012