As you will see ethanol trains make for some colorful train watching! You never know what to expect!
1. Medium clear signal for an eastbound at CSX FO Cabin. The train will have to diverge from the main onto #1 which becomes the main again from Fords Branch to Shelby.
2. CN 8936-5619 approach FO Cabin KY with K706-05. 06-06-2021.
3. K706-05 is slowly approaching Shelby KY for a crew change. 06-06-2021. CN 8936-5619.
4. Ethanol trains always have buffer cars on both ends. CN 8936-5619. Shelby KY.
5. CN 8936 is a SD70M-2. Shelby KY.
6. CN 8936. Shelby KY. SD70M-2. View 2.
7. CN 5619 is a SD70I. Shelby KY.
8. The Russell crew gets off K706 and will be transported to a motel in Pikeville for rest. A Kingsport crew will take the train south later. 06-06-2021. CN 8936-5619. Shelby KY.
9. CN 3150-CSX 5263 approach FO with a loaded ethanol train. 07-04-2021. FO Cabin KY.
10. Arriving Shelby on the switching lead. CN 3150-CSX 5263. Shelby KY.
11. CN 3150 is an ET44AC. Canadian National celebrated its 100th anniversary on 06-06-2019. It was created as a crown corporation by an act of the Canadian parliament. That date also celebrates the 75th anniversary of Canada’s participation in the Normandy invasion on D-Day in 1944. Shelby KY.
12. CN DPU 3284 is also an ET44AC. Shelby KY.
13. The ethanol train heads into one of the yard tracks at Shelby KY. 07-04-2021. CN 3284 DPU.
14. CSX 784-372-369 diverge to #1 at FO Cabin on e/b ethanol loaded train K459-26. Note new signals have replaced the venerable cantilever structure. It withstood a derailment here back in 1968.
15. C&O manifest train derailment at FO Cabin, 09-1968.
16. CSX 3382-96 on e/b grain train G904-29 passing tie gang at Coal Run Jct. 09-02-2021.
17. CSX DPU 7224 on G904-29. Coal Run Jct.
18. CSX 3184-5305 on w/b Q694 passing inactive mine siding at Levisa Jct. KY. 09-06-2021.
19. BNSF 8016 - CSX 409 on e/b ethanol K447-07 approaching FO Cabin KYwith 98 loaded tankers. 10-09-2021.
20. Ferromex DPU 4075 on K447-07. FO Cabin KY.
21. BNSF 8016 is an ES44C4. Shelby KY.
22. Ferromex 4075 is a SD70ACe. 10-09-2021. Shelby KY.
23. Tucked away at Shelby awaiting another crew to take the train south to Kingsport. 10-09-2021. Ferromex 4075. View 2. Shelby KY.
24. Ferromex 4075. Shelby KY. View 3.
25. CN 3271-3115 on main at Shelby KY with w/b K468-24. 11-28-2021.
26. CN 3271 is an ET44AC. Shelby KY.
27. CN 3271-3115-CSX 4561 on w/b K468-24 at Betsy Layne KY with 82 ethanol mtys and 2 buffers. 11-28-2021.
28. CN 3115 – also an ET44AC – is the British Columbia Rail “heritage” unit. CN’s heritage fleet also includes this model painted for the IC, EJ&E and Wisconsin Central plus a SD70M-2 painted for GTW. Betsy Layne KY.
29. CN 3115 ET44AC BC Rail. Betsy Layne KY. View 2.
30. CN 3271-3115-4561 on K468-24 passing a tipple at Lancer (“Bull Creek” on CSX). 11-28-2021.
31. CSX 3393-355 passing Fords Branch KY #1 to main with e/b N759 (Bailey Mine PA – Terrell NC Marshall Steam Plant) with DKPX (Duke Energy) loads. 12-03-2021.
32. CSX 7006 is a “CM44AC” formerly 122 at Shelby KY. 12-12-2021.
All for now.