1. CSX ES44DC 5361 at Shelby KY on 03-27-2022. Non-AC engines are frequently seen, hence no lightening stripe under the cab window.
2. Northbound Q694-26 with CSX 7764-3613-5412 has arrived from Kingsport with 25 loads and 37 empties. The Russell crew is ready to board and depart westbound. Shelby KY. 03-27-2022.
3. CP 9369-NS 9699 arrive Shelby KY on the switching lead with a loaded eastbound ethanol train. 04-10-2022.
4. CP 9369 is an ES44AC built in 2012. Note the speed limit sign for the main line on the right. Shelby KY.
5. The Shelby depot used to be on the right. CP 9369-NS 9699. Shelby KY.
6. Q694-15 with CSX 3337-754-987 and Georgia Central 2140 passes the block signal at Betsy Layne KY with 90 cars. 04-17-2022.
7. Georgia Central 2140 purports to be ex-NS GP38-2 5134. GC is a component of the Genesee & Wyoming group of short lines. Betsy Layne KY.
8. Q694-15 passes under the Town Branch bridge at Prestonsburg KY. CSX 3337-754-987-GC 2140. 04-17-2022.
9. GC 2140 GP38-2. Prestonsburg KY.
10. CSX 5424-5458 have westbound Q652 at the east end of Ivel KY on 04-24-2022.
11. The sidings are for Ivel load-out. CSX 5424-5458. Ivel KY.
12. Stella Natural Resources defunct operation at Ivel KY. When in operation Stella loaded very few trains. Most of their processed coal was trucked to barge docks on the Big Sandy River. The C&OHS Convention at Paintsville in 1997 toured this facility, but it was thriving and under different ownership then. 04-24-2022.
13. Abandoned bridge on the former C&O Meade Fork SD at Meade VA (near Pound). 04-26-2022.
14. CP “SD70ACu” is the DPU on departing w/b ethanol empty train B650 on 06-12-2022. “K” designated miscellaneous bulk trains and now “B” trains. If this unit looks very long it was originally a SD9043MAC that CP acquired second hand. CP 7032. Shelby KY.
15. CP 7032 SD70ACu. Shelby KY.
16. CP 9804 pulls into the siding at the east end of Pauley with the above ethanol train. A slide covered the main line just out of sight, and a slow order is in effect. Consequently trains are often routed on the siding which wasn’t affected by the slide. 06-12-2022.
17. CP 9804 is an AC4400CW built in 2004. EE Pauley KY.
18. CP 7032 DPU. EE Pauley KY.
19. UP 5772-CSX 5291-BNSF 7243 lead an e/b ethanol train onto the #2 track at FO Cabin between Pikeville and Shelby. 06-17-2022.
20. #2 continues as the switching lead at Fords Branch KY. UP calls 5772 a “C44ACCTE” but the GE model AC4400CW is more familiar. This group was built 03-04/2001. UP 5772-5291-BNSF 7243.
21. Also on 06-17-2022, CP 9832-CSX 5484 lead w/b ethanol train B650-15 at Pauley KY. This CP unit is an AC4400CW from a batch built 04-06/2004.
22. CP DPU 8925. ES44AC built 08-11/2011.
23. CP 8925 DPU ES44AC. Pauley KY.
24. A farewell shot at Coal Run Junction. CP 8925. 06-17-2022.
More spring shots later.