Here are a few more shots taken on our recent vacation trip to the Carolinas.
1. CSX 228 southbound local out of Bostic Yard passing Chesnee SC, on the Blue Ridge SD (former CRR). This and coal trains going to the Cliffside Power Plant (Duke) are all that use this once busy line now. 12-06-2015.
2. CSX 228. Mayo SC. Sunday 12-06-2015.
3. CSX 5457-7550. Southbound local freight switches on the Charlotte Subdivision at Monroe NC. 12-07-2015.
4. CSX yard office at Monroe NC. CSX ex-SAL depot. Monday 12-07-2015.
5. CSX 5457-7550 on F704-07, the Monroe Switcher (Monroe-Polkton and return) switches at the south or west end of the yard. Monroe NC.
6. CSX 583-4805 arrives northbound (heading east toward Hamlet) off the Charlotte SD. Monroe NC.
7. CSX 583-4805. Monroe NC. View 2.
8. On the left is the Monroe SD from Hamlet NC to Abbeville SC. This is the former SAL main line to Atlanta. The Charlotte SD on the right extends railroad south to Charlotte and Bostic NC where the SAL connected with the former Clinchfield. Something is coming on the Monroe SD out of Hamlet Yard. CSX 5457-7550. Monroe NC.
9. CSX 5457-748. Q667-07 (Hamlet to Atlanta) approaches. Monroe NC.
10. CSX 748-496-3013. Q667. Monroe NC.
11. CSX 748-496-3013. Monroe NC. View 2.
12. CSX 5457-7550. F704-07 switches the yard. Monroe NC.
13. CSX 5457-7550. Monroe NC. View 2.
14. CSX ex-SAL depot. Monroe NC.
15. Stop and open switch signal at the north end of Lilesville passing siding. The three track Gravelton Yard is behind me as well as a busy road crossing. The rusted track in the foreground served as the south lead to the yard. I suppose this signal is to remind crews using the yard that the switch ahead onto the passing siding will always be against them. CSX stop & open switch signal NE Lilesville NC.
16. Q697-07 (Hamlet to Kingsport, TN) heads south with 104 cars behind CSX 7792-7813-7685. Regretfully this familiar freight no longer runs between Kingsport and Russell and by our house. Must have left most of the train at Charlotte, because it sure won’t have that many cars when it gets to Kingsport! NE Lilesville NC.
17. CSX 7792-7813-7685. NE Lilesville NC. View 2.
We stayed the night in Rockingham NC. We visited Hamlet the next day.