These photos were made on my way to and from the annual C&OHS Convention in Staunton VA this past July and August.
1. CSX SD60M 8775 on work train at Danville WV yard. This engine is an ex-Conrail unit. 07-29-2015.
2. CSX East end of Lanta passing siding on the Pond Fork SD. Lanta is a CTC-controlled siding in the middle of “dark” territory. With the decline in coal traffic, the siding appears rarely used.
3. Elk Run Junction yard office near Whitesville on the Big Coal SD. This three-unit set was the only train in the yard, although one was loading at the Sylvester mine at the west end. CSX 536-479-303.
Nothing was happening around Beckley, so I proceeded on toward Staunton.
I overtook stack train Q136 near White Sulfur and beat it to Moss Run. Amtrak No. 51 was rolling up the mountain at 5:00 PM when I got there (no shot), so Q136 was held at East Alleghany. At 5:36 Q136 braked down the hill behind 7875-7537 with 388 axles.
5. CSX 7875-7537 Moss Run. View 2.
6. CSX 7875-7537 Moss Run. View 3.
7. Coming home on Sunday, 08-2-2015, L135 was arriving Clifton Forge. The outbound crew was called for 2:10 PM. I grabbed a quick lunch at Hardees and proceeded on up to Moss Run. L135-01 (an alternate schedule to Q135) slowly moved up the hill with 408 axles behind CSX 5403-7302. Moss Run.
8. CSX 5403-7302 Moss Run. View 2.
9. CSX 5403-7302 Moss Run. View 3.
I went back out to I-64 and beat L135 to White Sulfur. There was no place to park around the depot because the New Orleans Saints pro football training camp was in progress. Instead I went out to Harts Run near the I-64 interchange.
10. A flock of turkeys seen unperturbed by my presence. The arrival of L135 didn’t alarm them too much either. 4:30 PM. Harts Run.
11. I counted 140 wells. CSX 5403-7302. Harts Run. View 2.
12. CSX 5403-7302. Harts Run. View 3.
13. I exited I-64 at Sandstone figuring L135 would be along soon, as it didn’t pause at Hinton for a crew change. First came e/b coal N670-30 with 102 VAPX and TILX loads behind 912 at 5:50 PM. CSX 912 Meadow Creek.
14. Clear signal at the east end of Meadow Creek. CSX 912. View 2.
15. L135-31 rolls by at 6:01 PM. CSX 5403-7302. Meadow Creek.
16. CSX 5403-7302. Meadow Creek. View 2.
17. Amtrak 51 behind 117 with 7 cars rips by at 6:40 PM running about 20 min. late leaving Hinton. Amtrak 117 Meadow Creek.
18. Amtrak 117 Meadow Creek. View 2.
I get back on I-64 and head home.