CSX Cumberland Terminal SD 07-29-2016
Between programs at the C&OHS Convention Herb Parsons and I headed trackside around Cumberland MD.
1. Amtrak No. 30, the National Limited, behind 120-19 passes Mexico Tower at the east end of the Cumberland Terminal SD at 11:40 AM. Amtrak 20-19. Mexico MD.
2. Private cars on the rear of P030. Amtrak 20-19. Mexico MD. View 2.
3. CSX Cumberland Hump sign. Mexico MD.
4. Q130-28 (Chicago-Driver, VA) with CSX 5361-7339 departs eastbound behind P030. Mexico MD.
5. CSX 2046-3159 departs Cumberland MD at Virginia Avenue with V092-28. These are westbound grain empties picked up from the South Branch Valley Railroad at Green Spring WV and heading for Columbus OH. From there the Indiana & Ohio Ry. will take them down the former B&O Midland SD to Cooks OH. No. 2046 is a “GP38-3”.
6. CSX 2046-3159. Virginia Ave. Cumberland MD. View 2.
7. CSX 8617-6544 switch the west end of the yard at Virginia Avenue. The blue building is the yard office. The loco shop is in the background. Virginia Ave. Cumberland MD.
8. The east side of the locomotive shop. The tan metal building at the far right is the servicing facility. CSX diesel shop. Cumberland MD.
9. CSX diesel shop. Cumberland MD. View 2.
10. CSX diesel shop. Cumberland MD. View 3.
11. SD50 8617 and “GP40-3” 6544 switch at the west end of the yard. CSX 8617-6544. Cumberland MD.
12. CSX 8617-6544. Cumberland MD. View 2.
13. Q400-27 (Hamlet, NC to Cumberland) arrives Mexico behind CSX 4847-551-5442-3318-7831-7302-645-7539. Mexico MD.
14. That lunar aspect on the bottom signal indicates “restricting” (proceed at restricted speed) into the yard expecting an obstruction ahead. CSX 4847-551-5442. Mexico MD. View 2.
15. CSX 7539-645-7302-7831-3318-5442-551-4847. View 2. Mexico MD.
16. CSX 7539-645-7302-7831-3318-5442-551-4847. View 3. Mexico MD.
17. Q400 clears the plant, and the signal goes to “approach limited” with the center green flashing. CSX signal. Mexico MD.
18. CSX 3046-3143 brakes around the curve with westbound Q135-28 (Portsmouth VA to North Baltimore OH). He has 152 single-stack wells today. Mexico MD.
19. CSX 3046-3143. Mexico MD. View 2.
20. There’s the flash. Approach the next signal (Evits Creek or West Hump) at limited speed. CSX 3046-3143. Mexico MD. View 3.
21. Near our hotel is Viaduct Junction where the Keystone Subdivision to Pittsburgh splits with the Mountain Subdivision to Grafton. Q317-29 (Cumberland to Cincinnati via Grafton and Russell) leaves town behind CSX 7872-7791-2240-6499-2678-8743-8770. Viaduct Jct.
22. CSX single unit 7331 backs west of the signal on the Mountain SD. Viaduct Jct.
23. CSX 7331. Viaduct Jct. View 2.
24. I think the engine proceeded east to the yard. This engine may have been a pusher. CSX 7331. Viaduct Jct. View 3.
25. Q135-28 leaves town for New Castle PA with a fresh crew. CSX 3046-3143. Viaduct Jct.
26. Ahead is the Cumberland “Narrows”. Viaduct Junction tower once stood in this vacant spot. CSX 3046-3143. Viaduct Jct. View 2.
Herb and I head back to the hotel. The afternoon activities include a ride on the Western Maryland Scenic Ry. and a tour of their shop in Ridgeley WV.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young