CSX - Cumberland Valley SD, 03-16-2015
Rail Fan Adventure --
1. Resource Development Lynch 3 prep. plant near Cumberland. Coal in the stockpile, ventilation fans running and the track was shiny.
2. New batch-loader and old concrete silo from U. S. Steel era. Resource Development is part of Arch Coal. Lynch 3.
3. U.S. Steel loaded raw coal here and shipped it to their big prep. plant at Corbin. Resource Development Lynch 3.
4. U.S. Steel loaded raw coal here and shipped it to their big prep. plant at Corbin. Resource Development Lynch 3.View 2.
5. CSX 7569-5221-5322 on shifter C826 passes Baxter tower after going to Harlan Jct. to cross from #2 Main to #1 Main. This train may have come from Lynch 3.
6. CSX 5322-5221-7569 at Loyall - C826 paused to get the EOT off the rear.
7. C826 backs to the engine terminal and shuts the engines down. CSX 7569-5221-5322 at Loyall.
8. HLMX hopper 949929 has a load limit of 203,700 lbs., 2,540 cu. ft., and was built by Ortner Freight Car in 1986. Loyall.
9. HLMX hopper 21089 is 227,800 lbs load limit, and 2,215 cu. ft. and built 1998. Loyall.
10. These cars were hauling scrubber stone from a quarry at Mt. Vernon, Ky., to the Duke Energy plant at Brice, NC. The symbol was K786-12. Great to see some infusion of non-coal business. Loyall.
11. J.A.D. Coal Co. Blanton tipple near Coldiron. It is listed in CSX’s coal directory as New Coal.
12. J.A.D. Coal Co. Blanton tipple near Coldiron. View 2.
13. Nally & Hamilton Enterprises unit train load-out at Balkan. A dozer was heaping up coal.
14. Fixed approach CSX signal on the Straight Creek Br. near Pineville.
15. Returning east on US 119 toward Harlan I heard C821 coming northbound. Unfortunately it was the same set of engines I had seen earlier in the day at Loyall. This shot was made off a new bridge at Varilla. CSX 7569-5221-5322.
16. CSX 7569-5221-5322 at Varilla. View 2.
17. CSX 7569-5221-5322 Varilla. View 3.
18. C821 got an approach at Pineville as he had to wait a few minutes for a ballast regulator to clear up. That’s the Straight Creek Br. coming in from the right. CSX approach signal Pineville.
19. CSX 7569-5221-5322 Pineville.
20. Coalgood Energy’s inactive batch-loader at Creech, a few miles south of Harlan. Years ago this was Mary Helen Coal Corp. Coalgood Energy is now part of Alpha Natural Resources.
21. View off US 119 from the top of Pine Mt. looking toward Whitesburg in the valley.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young