CSX - Hamlet Terminal SD, 12-08-2015
1. Choo Choo On over to Hamlet NC. Brochure. Page 1.
2. Hamlet Depot & Museums. Brochure. Page 2.
3. Seaboard Air Line Company's Hamlet Depot in 1990. Brochure. Page 1.
4. Seaboard Air Line Company's Hamlet Depot in 1990. Brochure. Page 2.
5. CSX System Map.
6. Hamlet Terminal Subdivision (SF, S, & SH Lines). Page 1.
7. Hamlet Terminal Subdivision - S Line. Page 2.
8. Hamlet Terminal Subdivision - SF Line. Page 3.
9. Hamlet Terminal Subdivision - SH Line. Page 4.
10. CSX 585-8136 on Q439-06 (Selkirk, NY-Hamlet, NC) w/b from Pembroke rounds the connection at Bridges Street to head north into Hamlet Yard. Hamlet NC.
11. Former SAL SDP35 1114 and a caboose 5241 are on display across the street from the Hamlet Depot & Museum. Hamlet NC.
12. SAL caboose 5241. Close up view. Hamlet NC.
13. SAL SDP35 1114. Close up view. Hamlet NC.
14. The Hamlet Depot & Museum was moved across the track from the lot in the background.
15. Hamlet is also a stop for Amtrak’s Silver Star, but it is late at night or early in the morning. Hamlet Depot & Museum.
16. CSX looking north on the former SAL main line toward Hamlet Yard. The depot previously sat in the northwest quadrant on the other side of the East-West Connection. Hamlet NC.
17. The former site of the famous structure. Hamlet depot.
18. Looking south toward Columbia, Savannah, etc. Hamlet Depot & Museum.
19. CSX 7781-7921-2026 diverges at “Bridges St.” with Q477-08 (Wilmington-Hamlet). Hamlet NC.
20. Approach signal. CSX 7781. Hamlet NC.
21. CSX 7781-7921-2026 Hamlet. “GP38-3” 2026 is an ex-L&N unit.
22. CSX sb signal Hamlet. Former SAL color light CTC signals have a shorter mast than C&O’s.
23. CSX SD50s 8562-8567 come south out of the yard and head west toward Monroe. The interlocking in this view is “Monroe Junction.” Hamlet NC.
24. This seems to be a local railfan hangout. CSX 8582-8587. Hamlet NC.
25. Southbound 8562 approaches “Raleigh Street.” The siding on the right is the “office car track” on the diagram. CSX 8582-8587. Hamlet NC.
26. CSX 858-378 come south out of the yard and head east toward the Wilmington SD. This is rock train K759 (Sanford, NC – Wilmington). Hamlet NC.
27. CSX 858-378. View 2. Hamlet NC.
28. The train was composed of MACX and RTEX hoppers. MACX hopper 5052. Hamlet NC.
29. RTEX hopper 60010. Hamlet NC.
30. CSX 3287-566 arrives e/b at Raleigh Street with F453-07 (Hamlet-Dillon-Cheraw Turn) and will be heading north into the yard. Hamlet NC.
31. CSX 7335-8548-8773-8395-7563-553. L491-08 departs the yard and approaches the sprawling junction. Hamlet NC.
32. CSX (Ex-Conrail) 7335 with CSX 8548-8773-8395-7563-553 will head east to Pembroke and then south on the “A-Line” to Waycross GA. View 2. Hamlet NC.
33. CSX 7335-8548-8773-8395-7563-553. View 3. Hamlet NC.
34. Looking north on the main line with the CSX engine terminal on the right. Q439’s power is already on the pit. Hamlet NC.
35. CSX engine terminal. Looking north with the hump on the right. Hamlet NC.
36. CSX diesel shop. Hamlet NC. Looking south with the diesel shop on the left.
37. Q471-07 (Rocky Mount-Hamlet) with CSX 7929-7925-7690 is looking at the Bridges Street signal inbound from Pembroke and the Wilmington SD. Hamlet NC.
38. CSX 576-7617-803-7642-7928. Rockingham NC.
We had no sooner reached the city limits then we heard another train leaving. Shooting Q697-08 was bittersweet. It is now a Hamlet-Kingsport freight, and it no longer runs to Russell KY. Nos. 576-7617-803-7642-7928 pick up speed through Rockingham westbound. They will diverge at Monroe for Charlotte and Bostic. It was a surprisingly long train.
39. The former SAL depot at Rockingham is used as an office. Rockingham NC.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young