I took a vacation day, and Sue and I went over to Logan WV. On the way we stopped at Williamson WV and shot NS w/b 80W coal train entering the yard and e/b grain 50D-08 hustling through without a crew change from Portsmouth to Bluefield. Then we hit the antique store in West Williamson (“College” signal is behind and Mingo Tunnel just down the track). Sue was happy, so Everett can now do his thing.
1. The crew of mine run F812-12 (Florence Division hence the “F” instead of “H” designation) board GE ES44AH 3232 with 111 empty tubs. The nearest track is the main line of the Logan Subdivision. CSX 3232. Peach Creek WV. 06-12-2020.
2. F812-12 slowly approaches the east end of Peach Creek yard. The “empty yard” has been removed. I don’t know if the flood light tower still functions. CSX 3232. Peach Creek WV. View 2.
3. CSX 3232. FD Cabin. View 3. Logan WV.
4. F812 is looking at a slow clear signal (red-red-green) at the former site of FD Cabin. CSX signals. Logan WV.
5. The Island Creek Sub. diverges just around the curve. CSX 3232. FD Cabin. Logan WV.
6. CSX 3254-5266 are the distributed power. FD Cabin. Logan WV.
7. CSX 3232 F812-12 approaches McConnell WV, 3 miles south of Logan. New WV 10 has finally been opened through here to Man!
8. CSX 3232. View 2. McConnell WV.
9. CSX 3232. View 3. McConnell WV.
10. The new 4-lane WV 10 can be seen in the background. CSX 3232. McConnell WV.
11. The Guyandotte River is placid. CSX 5266-3254. McConnell WV.
12. CSX 3232 F812 has switched onto the Rum Creek Subdivision. Dabney WV.
13. CSX 3232 F812 proceeds up Rum Creek to the big mine at Hutchinson. This location was known as Dabney. The jitney stopped on the bridge, and I talked with the conductor. He was from Pikeville and had to take a seniority move to Peach Creek where he was the “baby.” This shows how much coal jobs on the railroad have cut in the past few years. View 2. Dabney WV.
14. CSX 3232. View 3. Dabney WV.
15. CSX 5266-3254. Dabney WV.
16. CSX 3254-5266 F812 will load at Contura Coal Sales LLC (Bandmill Coal) at Hutchinson siding. This is FKA Pittston (Elkay Mining) Rum Creek plant. It is the only operation now on the Rum Creek Sub. View 2. Dabney WV.
17. I scanned these slides recently, so I thought I would share them with you. E/b “Buffalo-Lundale” with 35 empties going into the siding at Taplin to meet Ex6525 West on 02-19-1986. C&O. Taplin WV.
18. The e/b cantilever with the triangular configured lights have been replaced with standard color-light signal with a tall mast and a doll arm. Taplin was used at this time to store rolling stock or new AC&F “center flow” covered hoppers. C&O. Taplin WV.
19. This w/b “Elk Creek shifter” must have been low on time for the dispatcher (at Peach Creek) to set up a meet just a short distance from Man. Everything on the railroad is gone now except the main line and possibly the GP40-2! Even the Clinchfield hopper! C&O. Taplin WV.
20. SD35 7428 on the “West Gilbert Shifter” passes the east end of Taplin on 05-10-1983. Those sawdust hoppers are probably for the branch up Huff Creek. C&O. Taplin WV.
21. 421 has shifter H812-13 and is taking AEPX empties up the Buffalo Sub. to the Pardee Mine. 01-23-2009. The siding looks only fit to park MofW equipment. Taplin yard is gone. C&O. Taplin WV.
All for now.