CSX Logan SD, NS Kenova Dist - 03-22-2016
1. NS new signals are being installed at Nolan WV (west of Williamson) to replace the old CPLs. Practically all of the CPLs in the Williamson area have or are in the process of being replaced.
2. Clear signal for an eastbound on Main 2. NS clear on Main 1 for wb Nolan.
3. Work train 97J heads toward Williamson. NS 3284. Nolan WV.
4. Opps! Better not leave! CN 2577-5767 lead 64M east with two spacers and 79 tankers of ethanol. 233 was waiting at Borderland, but I headed on to Logan County. Nolan.
5. CSX 4535, 655, and 971 are shut down near the new Peach Creek yard office. The yardmaster here will also soon control Shelby, Martin, and Paintsville in addition to Danville and Elk Run Jct. Peach Creek.
6. My guess is that the old store room and machine shop will soon be demolished. CSX 4535, 655, and 971. Peach Creek.
7. On the Buffalo Subdivision near Man, H811-22 creeps down the Fanco siding at a snails pace. Fanco changed ownership recently, and Blackhawk Mining – the new owner – has only occasionally used the unit train facility. CSX 627-315. Braeholm.
8. CSX 627-315. Braeholm. View 2.
9. Now out on the main line H811 has loaded the last of 75 cars and awaits the conductor. The blue conveyor to the load-out is in the background. CSX 627-315. Braeholm.
10. CSX 627-315 bring H811-22 into Man and onto the Logan SD in the foreground. The block signals were de-activated last October, and most have been removed. The Logan SD and Gilbert SD east of Man are rarely used, as there is only one active tipple at West Gilbert that loads sporadically. Man.
11. H811-22 rumbles down the Guyandotte River at 20 mph. CSX 627-315. Near Rum Jct.
12. Rum Junction is around the curve ahead. CSX 627-315. Near Rum Jct.
13. CSX Approach signal entering CTC at SW Cabin, Stollings.
14. The abandoned Dingess Run SD once diverted to the left behind the locomotive. CSX 627-315. SW Cabin. Stollings.
15. These 75 loads will be combined with 75 already at Peach Creek to go to Tidewater. The eastward signals are dwarfs on each track just beyond the crossing. CSX 627-315. SW Cabin. Stollings.
16. Conductor detaches CSX 778-468-3014 from a train of DKPX empties. H814-22 with engine 971 will soon take these to Rum Creek for loading. Peach Creek.
I head home to Pikeville having spent an enjoyable and productive day beside the track.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young