On New Year's Day I was surprised to see an eastbound train of mostly Soo Line hoppers go by. Football games would have to wait. I headed to Shelby to get a shot.
Back in the '90s petroleum coke trains operated for a while through here, often behind Soo or Wisconsin Central power. These trains ran between Soo's Bensenville Yard in Chicago to Rincon, Ga.
Rincon is near Savannah on a former SCL line. I've been through the town, checked various websites, but I don't know who burns this coke.
K223 normally operates via Deshler, Cincinnati, Corbin, Atlanta and Augusta to Rincon. I've seen several of these trains since January. All ran with similar Soo or Milwaukee Road hoppers.
1. CSX 745-430 arrives Shelby with K223-37 on Jan. 1, 2012.
4. Soo 63019 has a ld. limit of 204,750 and a volume of 4,000 cubic feet.
5. Milwaukee Road 120052 is 202,500/4000 and built 3-83.
6. PLWX 63234 is 202,200.
7. Soo 62174 is 202,000 and built 11-89.
8. Soo 63004 is 201,600.
9. MILW 120094 is 202,300/4000 and built 1-83.
10. Soo 62418 is 201,600 and came from the Western Pacific.
11. Soo 62811 is 201,500.
12. Soo 62345 has the rotary coupler end painted light blue.
13. Soo 62930 brings up the rear of K223-27. In a while another crew will take it on to Erwin, Tennessee.