CSX - Shelby, Big Sandy SD, and EK SD - late 2017-early 2018
1. A CSX approach signal at the east end of Shelby indicates something is coming. The switch is lined for the main, and the signal at the west end of Shelby will be red.
2. UP 8890-CSX 854 arrive at the east end of Shelby on 10-07-2017 with Q697. 5257 has already arrived on Q692. The two westbound freights will be put together for the remainder of the trip to Russell.
3. UP 8890-854 5257. View 2. Shelby.
4. Q697 has arrived at the “VIP crosswalk” and the crew has gone to the yard office. UP 8890-854. Shelby.
5. CSX 977-5230 have finished loading their train at the Typo load-out near Hazard and await a crew. That’s the North Fork of the Kentucky River in the foreground, and this is the former L&N Eastern Kentucky Subdivision. 09-30-2017. Typo KY.
6. CSX “SD50-3” 8609 at Shelby on 09-24-2017 is an ex-SBD SD50 de-rated in horsepower.
7. At least the Big Sandy is important enough that they inspect the track with a Sperry car! SRS 119. Shelby KY.
8. SRS 119. View 2. Shelby KY.
9. CSX 3358-569-7780-53 (DIT) have arrived at Shelby with Q697 on 09-24-2017. They will combine their 125-car train with Q692 in yard track 2 to make a huge 239-car train to go to Russell. CSX 3358 459. Shelby.
10. CSX 3358 459. View 2. Shelby.
11. The outbound Russell crew pulls ahead to make their double. CSX 3358-569-7780-53. Shelby.
12. Shelby is populated with the latest in motive power this 10-01-2017. ES44AHs 3447-3362 with ET44AH 3401-367 a few tracks over. CSX 3447-3362 3401-367. Shelby KY.
13. Q697 waits to depart with CSX ES44AH 3074 and CSX ET44AH 3260. Shelby.
14. ET44AH 3260 CSX ET44AH 3260. Shelby.
15. Note the size difference in the cooling apparatus between the ES44AH (left) and the ET44AH (right). CSX ES44AH 3074 ET44AH 3260. Shelby.
16. New Years day 2018 X804-02 went west with 105 empty boxcars behind CSX 5347-4012. Approximately 75 were RBOX and 30 were CSX. I was told that these were moved out of storage from the Erwin TN Yard. I don’t know whether they were to be returned to service, repaired or scrapped. Some of the CSX cars were in fairly new paint. Photographed near EM Cabin at Emma KY. Emma KY.
17. CSX boxcar 161547. Emma KY.
All for now.