1. RBMN covered hopper 10055 belongs to Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern, an eastern Pennsylvania short line. This covered hopper was built by AC&F (American Car & Foundry) in 10-1977. The load limit is 197,700 lbs and the volume is 5700 cubic feet. It is hauling anthracite fine coal from Hazleton Shaft mine near Hazleton PA to Nucor Steel in Kinsler NC. It is on NS at Lynchburg VA. 08-25-2018.
2. RBMN covered hopper 10028 was built 10-1979 and has a load limit of 196,500 lbs. Lynchburg VA.
3. RBMN covered hopper 9961 was built 01-1977 and has a load limit of 196,500 lbs. Lynchburg VA.
4. These three cars of coal were all heading south on NS. RBMN 9961. Logo. Lynchburg VA.
5. GATX tank 65032 was built 02-1994. It is leased to Thiele Kaolin Co., Sandersville GA. Lynchburg VA. 08-25-2018.
6. ACFX tank 72924 was built 02-1989 and is also leased to Thiele. Lynchburg VA.
7. GAMX (General American of Mexico) tank 5770 is likewise leased to Thiele. All are on a southbound NS freight leaving Lynchburg on 08-25-2018. Thiele leases cars from everyone! Lynchburg VA.
8. Southern box 531212 is an oldie but goody! Older car in predecessor markings are getting rare. I wish I had photographed more. Lynchburg VA.
9. Same for N&W covered hopper 177929. This car has a load limit of 222,200 lbs and was built 05-1974. It is stencilled “Grain Loading Only.” These two cars were also shot at Lynchburg on 08-25-2018. Lynchburg VA.
10. NS MoW 901219 was built 10-1967. Due to its condition it has been relegated to “Scrap Rail Only – No Ties” although there is a tie gon coupled to it. Blue Ridge VA on 08-25-2018. In the early 1980s I shot a local switching cars of stone or ballast here for the quarry. Doesn’t look like the railroad has that business anymore. Blue Ridge VA.
11. NS covered hopper 233580 has a load limit of 201,300 lbs, a volume of 3,000 cubic feet and was built 08-1980. It is in NS class HC-77. I found it at Titan America (Roanoke Cement) at Lone Star VA with a load of cement destined for Selma NC on 08-25. Lone Star Cement was the original or previous operator of the large plant. Lone Star VA.
12. INTX (Interstate Commodities Inc.) covered hopper 462128 is arriving Shelby KY eastbound 11-16-2018 on a loaded grain train. It is ex-CSX and was built 11-1976 with a load limit of 200,100 lbs. Shelby KY.
13. INTX covered hopper 350159 served Great Lakes Carbon at one point in its career. Shelby KY.
14. INTX covered hopper 65114 is ex-Koppel. The logo lists Long Beach CA and Salina KS, but I didn’t find any more info. Shelby KY.
15. INTX covered hopper 65114. View 2. Shelby KY.
16. ATGX (Atel Leasing Corp.) covered hopper 90125 is ex-Corn Products. Shelby KY.
17. ATGX covered hopper 90125. View 2. Shelby KY.
18. INTX covered hopper 35073 is another former Great Lakes Carbon car. It was built 05-1979 and has a load limit of 200,500 lbs. Shelby KY.
19. INTX covered hopper 35039 was also built 05-1970 with the same load limit. Shelby KY.
20. INTX covered hopper 35039. View 2. Shelby KY.
21. INTX covered hopper 39086 has a volume of 4,650 cu. ft. Looks like an early ACF “Center Flow” design. Shelby KY.
22. ETCX (Eastman Chemical, Tennessee Eastman Corp.) 3-compartment tank 83003 was on Q692 leaving Shelby on 12-11-2018. Eastman is the largest industrial complex in Tennessee. It is served by CSX, NS and AEP. There are always Eastman tanks or covered hoppers on Big Sandy and Kingsport SD manifests. Shelby KY.
23. Grain business is slow on NS. I found these cars lbs stored on the center siding at Ben WV on 12-19-2018. Clean NS covered hopper 296095 was built by Trinity Rail 05-2011. It has a load limit of 222,900 and a volume of 5161 cu ft. It is NS class HC117. Ben WV.
24. NS covered hopper 298291 was built by Freight Car America at Shoals AL on 01-2017. It is 225,100 lbs, 5200 cu ft, and is classed HC123. Almost as good as a builders picture! Note the horse silhouette logo. Ben WV.
All for now.