Here are a few examples of rolling stock taken since late 2021. I’m saving the coal and maintenance-of-way equipment until later.
1. CGRX 579036 is a rarity in that it is a covered hopper with a logo on it. 219,100 lbs, 5791 cubic feet, blt Trinity Rail 11-2014. Shelby KY on 12-26-21.
2. CSX box 142889 on w/b Q303 (Russell-Queensgate) passing Edington KY on 01-25-2022. This is a new level in advertising!
3. NS gon 202008 at Carbo VA on 01-26-2022. 6,111 cubic feet; 199,000 lbs, blt. 09-1971. Has Southern trucks. Probably used in scrap tie service, etc.
4. MWCX (Midwest Railcar Corp.) gon 204305 on a NS freight at Williamson WV 03-25-2022. 4014 cubic feet in volume. Built by Greenbrier Companies 01-2022.
5. CIGX (CIT Group) flat 805246 arriving Shelby KY on an e/b freight 03-27-2022. 224,100 lbs. Blt Thrall 1997.
6. CSX coil steel flats 496470 and 496299 on same train as above. There’s some variety in the design of coil steel cars, but I’ve not grasped it yet. Don’t know that I want to, but rolling stock is disappearing every day from under our noses. What’s common today is rare or extinct tomorrow. Shelby KY.
7. DPRX tank 258607 (DPF Holding Co. Inc.) was built 04-2015. Passing through Shelby KY on 04-10-2022. I usually ignore tank cars, but this one had the ends painted white and no graffiti.
8. MWCX (Midwest Railcar) gon 100727 on a w/b freight Q652 at Ivel KY on 04-24-2022. Ex-Burlington Northern with 197,400 lbs and built by FMC. I have no idea what is under that tarp.
9. This car could have been used to haul wood chips in its younger days. MWCX 100727 gon. Ivel KY.
10. GACX covered hopper 6783 (General American Marks Co.) on the same freight at Ivel KY. 222,400 lbs; 5,181 cu ft; blt 1996. Agrium merged with Potash Corp. (next car behind) in 2018 to form Nutrien Ag Solutions.
11. ITFX (Infinity Transportation) gons 212116 and 212119 have a volume of 4,400 cubic feet and a load limit of 209,500 lbs. Fe Trading deals in scrap. 04-24-2022. Ivel KY.
12. ITFX gon 212119. Ivel KY.
13. ITFX gon 212116. Lancer KY.
14. GACX 6733 covered hopper Lancer KY. Same train at Lancer KY. This side didn’t have the graffiti. Built 10-2021.
15. BRIX (Incobrasa Industries LTD) covered hopper 97607 has a load limit of 219,200 lbs, a volume of 5,791 cubic feet and was built by Trinity 11-2018. These cars are usually clean and really stand out. 04-24-2022. Lancer KY.
16. A fallen flag! SP 250016 box has a volume of 5,503 cu ft and was built pre-UP in 1979. Passing through Shelby KY on 05-8-2022.
17. EAMX (Everest Railcar Services) gon 2786 has been hauling something that dented the sides. 218,800 lbs; 2,743 cu ft; and built by Trinity. Shelby KY on 05-08-2022.
18. SOYX covered hopper 98058 belongs to Minnesota Soybean Processors. Passing through Shelby KY on 07-17-2022.
19. WHTX covered hopper 5218 (ADM Milling Co.) is part of Archer-Daniels-Midland Co., the huge food processing company. Shelby KY. 07-17-2021.
20. CSYX (Bunge North America) covered hopper 13012 must have merged with Central Soya. Shelby KY. 10-17-2022.
21. CSYX (Bunge North America) covered hopper 13221 arriving Shelby KY on 09-02-2022. Car was built 06-1996.
22. CP 216142 box was on the same train as above. Blt 11-1998. CP boxcars are regulars, as they haul wood products to the Kimberly-Clark paper mill in South Carolina. Shelby KY. 09-02-2022.
23. BRIX covered hopper 97783 has 219,000 lbs; 5,721 cu ft, and was built by Trinity 11-2021. Leaving Shelby KY on 09-16-2022 on e/b M653-15.
We sure miss Carl Shaver and his knowledge of rolling stock history. Enough for now.