KCS - Stilwell OK - Heavener OK - 09-25-2014
Rail Fan Adventure --
1. After spending the night in Siloam Springs, we headed south following the Kansas City Southern’s Heavener Subdivision. We met KCS 4684-CP 8905 heading north out of Stilwell, OK with an ethanol train.
2. CP 8705-9753 were the DPUs. Stillwell OK.
3. Stilwell depot was built in 1912. It is now the local history museum with a good assortment of KCS related photos and artifacts. Stillwell OK.
4. “GP40-3” 2856 -- seen the previous day at Watts – picked up that mechanical reefer at an industry and then headed north. The crew referred to their train as the “North Dodger”. Stillwell OK.
5. KCS 2856 Stillwell OK. View 2.
6. KCS depot Stillwell OK .
7. North Dodger met a southbound empty 52-car Herzog ballast train behind UP 6052-KCS 7024-KCS 708. Stillwell OK.
8. SD50 7024 came from Conrail via CSX. It was rebuilt by NRE in Dixmoor, IL. SD50 708 is painted for “Operation Lifesaver.” This train was parked the night before at Siloam Springs. UP 6052-KCS 7024-708 Stillwell OK.
9. UP 6052-KCS 7024-708 Stillwell OK. View 2.
10. UP 6052-KCS 7024-708 Stillwell OK. View 3.
11. Arkansas-Oklahoma Railroad interchanges with KCS at Howe, OK, just north of Heavener. A-OK operates the former Rock Island line from El Reno (near Oklahoma City) to Howe. The line used to continue on east to Memphis. A-OK RR SW8 2010 Howe OK.
12. A-OK RR SW8 2010. Howe OK. View 2.
13. A-OK RR SW8 2010 Howe OK. view 3.
14. We had seen this s/b TXU (Luminant) coal train at Stilwell earlier where it passed the n/b ethanol train. After refueling on the Heavener fuel pad in the foreground, it has coupled back to the train and is advancing into the yard. BNSF 9042-KCS 4051-CP 4051 Heavener OK.
15. BNSF 9042-KCS 4051-CP 9615. Heavener OK. View 2.
16. Note the big KCS fuel storage tank. This is the north end of Heavener yard. BNSF 9042-KCS 4051-CP 9615 Heavener OK.
17. The manifest shot the previous day is switching on the right. That’s the yard office on the left. BNSF 9042 KCS 4808 Heavener OK.
18. BNSF 9042-KCS 4051-CP 9615 Heavener OK. Last look.
19. KCS (Ex-Boston & Maine GP38-) 2018 occupies the small diesel shop at Heavener OK.
20. Some loaded TFM and KCSM 100-ton hoppers were in the freight. These are the reporting marks for Kansas City Southern of Mexico. The cars were 3433 cubic feet of which C&O, B&O and CSX have many. KCSM hopper 44158 Heavener OK.
21. TFM hopper 44035 Heavener OK.
We will finish the day by following M-KCSH south up to Rich Mountain, AK.
Attachment 1 - Heavener SubDdivision information; pdf, 1 page.
Attachment 2 - Heavener Profile elevation graphic; pdf, 1 page.
Attachment 3 - Kansas City Southern Map; pdf, 1 page.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young
last update - 05 Feb 2015