Below are various photos taken post Arch Mineral from 1994 until 2011.
1. Portal 31. Welcome To Lynch signage.
2. Lynch tipple, storage silo, and power house on 07-17-1994. Most of the track has been removed. In this jungle we call Appalachia it doesn’t take long for weeds and trees to take over. Lynch.
3. Lynch Coal Tipple signage.
4. I don’t have a good photo of the blending bin which is that large structure on the hill above the tipple, but you can see it in other photos. Frankly I didn’t know what it was. Inland Steel had one at Price Mine. Now they do it using underground conveyors from stockpiles. Blending Bin & Lowering Conveyor Lynch signage.
5. The office building/wash room is on the left and the L&N depot is in the background. Lynch Railroad Station.
6. Lynch former L&N depot.
7. USS Lynch railroad station signage.
8. Office building with bath house attached. The post office, bank, and other executive offices were in the building on the right in the distance. Lynch. 07-17-1994.
9. Lynch Office and Bath House signage.
10. The lamp house #2 is just outside the portal of 31. It now serves as the gift shop. Lynch.
11. Lynch lamp house and fire station.
12. Lynch Firehouse signage.
13. Lynch sprung up in a wilderness. Naturally there were none or insufficient power facilities. United States Steel took care of that, and built this power plant to supply the mines, tipple, and town. Lynch. 07-17-1994.
14. Lynch Power House signage.
15. Water tank near the power house. Lynch. 07-17-1994.
16. Before development as a mine tour for the public. Lynch Portal 31. 07-17-1994.
17. USS Lynch In 1917... signage.
18. Lynch No. 31 Mine Portals.
19. USS Lynch No 31 Mine Portals signage.
20. The conveyor comes out of the mine to the top of the huge storage silo. Lynch Winifrede Mine Conveyor.
21. Lynch Winifrede Mine Conveyor signage.
22. Portal for Mine 30 on the opposite side of the creek across from the depot. Lynch Portal 30.
23. Lynch No. 31 Mine Dump signage.
24. Scoop with conveyor. Lynch mine machinery.
25. Lynch continuous miner. 02-18-2001.
26. Lynch ventilating fans.
27. Abandoned United Supply Co. store. Lynch. 02-18-2001.
28. United Supply store. Built in 1919. Lynch.
Next we will take an inside tour of Mine 31.