Here some non-revenue equipment that I shot or scanned recently.
1. C&O MW gon 950534 is dedicated for “Wheel Loading Only.” That red paint ought to make one take notice. Peach Creek WV. 01-18-1986.
2. C&O MW wheel gon WH204 stored at Holden WV, on 01-05-1975.
3. CSX MW Gon 999234 used for scrap tie loading. Shelby KY, 05-23-2021. Probably from the ex-DLRX batch that was built by Marine Industrie Ltd. at Sorel, Quebec around 1981. Originally CN or CP for coal service.
4. CSX MW ballast hopper 967144 is ex-Conrail 53145, former class BH1D. Shifter C861-21 is taking 10 loads of ballast from Shelby to Martin on 06-13-2021. Shelby KY.
5. CSX MW 967144. View 2. Shelby KY.
6. NS MW scale test car 982567 is at Lock Haven PA on 06-23-2021. It was built in 2010.
7. UP MW tub 945242 is full of new ties. Former MP yard in downtown St. Louis. 08-29-2021.
8. UP MW 925242. View 2. UP painted their camp cars this color also. Appears to be an old ACF “Coalveyor.” St Louis.
9. CN MW ballast hopper 302430 on the former Illinois Central at Bluford IL, on 08-29-2021. Built by National Steel Car at their Hamilton, Ontario plant 05-1976. Volume is 2,200 cubic ft. and load limit is 165,000 lbs. It has Dofasco (Dominion Foundry) trucks.
10. CN MW 302430. View 2. Builder stamp.
11. A mechanized CSX tie gang is finishing up work on the siding at the east end of Pauley on 09-02-2021. Pauley KY.
12. The CSX tie gang is backed west past Coal Run Jct. KY on the siding.
13. The equipment proceeds onto the Coal Run Subdivision to be (presumably) parked for the night in Coal Run Yard. View 2. 09-02-2021. CSX tie gang. Coal Run Jct KY.
14. CSX tie gang. View 3. Coal Run Jct KY.
15. SPSX (Progress Rail) flat 565901 is ex-N&W 59501, nee-32859, built 1965. Levisa Jct. KY on 09-06-2021. At this point I want to mention how much we will miss the late Carl Shaver. He was an expert on rolling stock and motive power and had the knowledge and resources to dig up the additional information that I often provided.
16. NS MW gon 997566 is used for “Crosstie Loading Only.” It’s an ex-Southern Ry. pulp wood flat built 06-1980. Stored at Devon WV, 11-05-2021.
17. NSSX (National Salvage & Service) gon 507 is ex-SOM. It was built 02-1989, had a load limit of 205,800 lbs, and a volume of 3,600 cubic ft. Devon WV on 11-05-2021. Somerset unit trains were often loaded on the Monongahela Ry. for a power plant in New York or New England.
18. On NS’s Pocahontas District at Ought One WV, Herzog Contracting Multi-Purpose Machine 205 moves west at the Junction with the Buchanan Branch. AKA Looney’s Curve. 11-05-2021.
19. HZGX 205 will tie down at Devon. Evidently this equipment was being used to dump ballast in locations where conventional dump cars wouldn’t do. Ought One WV.
20. HGZX 20500. Parked at Devon WV.
21. HGZX 205 B. Devon WV.
22. HGZX 205 B. Devon WV.
23. HZGX Komatsu.
24. The Komatsu back hoe can move from one car to another by using this red steel bridge. HZGX link.
25. HGZX 205. Looks like a converted Geep. Faintly in orange you can see “MPM XXXVI.” Devon WV.
26. HGZX 205. Devon WV.
27. HGZX 205. Devon WV.
28. CSX Huntington Loco Shop load test unit HLS1. Ex-CSX SD45-2 8969, exx-SBD 8969, nee CRR-3611, built 11-1972. 11-27-2021.
All for now.