NS - Buchanan Branch, 09-05-2015
I picked up Chase for a day out on the Buchanan Branch.
1. Westbound coal train 82G is parked at Thomas Wye awaiting a crew. The connection to the Levisa Branch leads off to the right. NS 1055-9564 Thomas Wye.
2. NS 1055-9564 Thomas Wye. View 2.
3. Eastbound shifter U61 with NS 9702-9670 leaves the east end of Weller Yard with empties for Dismal Yard.
4. U61 passes an empty Conrail covered at an explosives dealer at Leetown. NS 9702-9670 Leetown.
5. Pusher J86 with NS 1144-1000-9455 is coupled to the rear of 82G at Weller Yard.
6. 82G approaches the bracket signals at “Wise County” on the steep climb up Home Creek to Raitt Tunnel. NS 1055-9564 Wise County.
7. 82G’s engines are working hard climbing the hill. NS 1055-9564 Wise County. View 2.
8. Pusher J86. NS pusher 9455-1000-1144 Wise County. View 3.
9. NS pusher 1144-1000-9455 Wise County. View 4.
10. With 82G in the siding, eastbound empty train 80W departs Luke behind NS 9481-6754-8752 and several more.
11. NS clear signal for 82G at “Pine Oaks”.
12. 82G westbound at “Pine Oaks” near Luke. NS 1055-9564 Pine Oaks.
13. NS 1055-9564 Pine Oaks. View 2.
14. NS 1055-9564 Pine Oaks. View 3.
15. NS 82G Pine Oaks.
16. NS signal Pine Oaks. Southern style signals on a N&W cantilever.
17. NS signal Pine Oaks. View 2.
18. Control point “Extension” near Luke. NS dwarf signals Extension.
19. Looking east at Luke. NS signal Luke.
20. NS signal Luke. View 2.
21. Shifter U60 has 111 loads of “Cleveland coke” from Dismal Yard for Weller. Just above Grundy. NS 2665 near Grundy.
22. NS 2665 near Grundy. View 2. Good looking coke from Jewell’s ovens.
23. Westbound U60 coming by the explosives distributor at Leetown. NS 2665 Leetown.
24. SunCoke Energy’s Vansant operation loads about 35 cars a day. NS makes up a unit train of about 105 loads to go to Williamson and on west. NS 2665 Leetown.
25. U60 westbound approaches the east end of Weller Yard. NS 2665 EE Weller.
26. NS 2665 EE Weller.View 2.
27. NS 2665 EE Weller. View 3.
28. NS 9481 will leave later with coke empties for Dismal Yard. NS 2665 - 9481 EE Weller.
All in all, a good day on the Buchanan Branch in this day and time.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young