1. NS caboose 555006 received repairs and painting for service out of Norton VA. Nice that this ex-N&W car was historically identified with the monogram. Norton VA. 04-27-2015.
2. I guess in nice weather the conductor gets to ride this “shoving platform” instead of the caboose. NS shoving platform 555251. Norton VA.
3. NS 2728 with mine run U55 waits for the conductor to get back to the engine before departing Appalachia with a short train of empties. Appalachia VA. 04-27-2015.
4. NS SD70M-2 2728. Appalachia VA. View 2.
5. NS shoving platform 555256 was built 08-1980. Appalachia VA.
6. NS mine run U55 shoves 15 empties through Appalachia VA, on April 27th toward Andover Yard. On the left is the new connection to the former Southern (nee-Interstate Ry.). On the background left is the former L&N freight station, and in the right background is the former L&N passenger station. Construction of the highway bridge I’m standing on forced NS to relocate. NS U48 backing. Appalachia VA. 04-28-2015.
7. NS 6954 is a SD60E. Appalachia VA.
8. Andover Yard is just around the curve. NS 6954. Appalachia VA. View 2. 04-28-2015.
9. On former Interstate track, mine run U50 with NS 9850-9032 comes west at Norton (“Bopar”) past the former Cumberland Collieries tipple on the Clinch Valley Extension. The track on the right is the former N&W Clinch Valley District. The Clinch Valley Extension comprises approximately 23 miles of former Interstate Ry. track from the connection at Tacoma to Wentz. Why NS didn’t call it the “Interstate District” or “Branch” is beyond me, as the CV and CV Extension have different dispatchers and use different radio frequencies, although both are part of the Pocahontas Div. Norton VA.
10. NS 8878-8886 bring w/b empty stack train 23Q-12 (47 bare-tables from Williamson WV to Atlanta) through Abingdon VA, on the former N&W Pulaski District. Abingdon VA. 12-03-2015.
11. NS 8878-8886. Abingdon VA. View 2.
12. Clear signal for 23Q-02. NS 8878-8886. Abingdon VA. View 3.
13. NS 8878-8886 Abingdon VA. View 4.
14. NS wb signal. Abingdon VA.
15. NS eb signal. Abingdon VA. It’s getting late in the day for CPL signals.
16. The next morning, 12-04-2015, comes e/b freight 16T-03 (Birmingham-Allentown) behind NS 1021-7685-7624 with 50 loads and 4 empties. Abingdon VA.
17. NS 1021-7685-7624. Abingdon VA. View 2.