1. NS yard office in Lexington, KY on the site of the old CNO&TP depot. 04-02-2021.
2. GMTX 2653 in Lexington KY yard.
3. GATX Rail (GMTX) “GP38-2” 2653 is ex-L&N GP38 4011. Lexington KY. 04-02-2021.
4. NS 9788-9601-4259 at Mt. Carmel IL on e/b #167-30 (St. Louis – Chattanooga) with 28 loads and 45 empties. 08-30-2021.
5. NS 9788 #167-30 e/b. Mt Carmel IL.
6. NS “CB Junction” looking west at Mt. Carmel IL. “CB” would denote Cairo Branch. 08-30-2021.
7. Looking west. Typical Southern Ry. Yard limit sign. NS CB Jct Mt Carmel IL.
8. Looking east at CB Junction. NS CB Jct Mt Carmel IL.
9. Historically we are looking south at the New York Central’s Danville IL to Evansville IN line crossing the Southern’s Louisville to St. Louis line. Out of sight in the distance the Cairo Branch continued on southwest to the the Mississippi River at Cairo. It was coal originating territory into the Conrail. A large Public Service of Indiana power plant is nearby. Southern took over the line and let Amax Coal shuttle coal trains into the plant from Wabash Mine at Keensburg. Now the mine is defunct, but evidently some coal still uses a small bit of the Cairo Br. and the Evansville line to get into the plant. The crossing has been removed, and the track by my feet is evidently just a spur. In its day the NYC ran “The Egyptian” passenger train over this route to Cairo. NS CB Jct Mt Carmel IL.
10. NS Illinois 2013. Timetable 1.
11. The NS Cairo Br. is growing up in trees south of the PSI lead.
12. Over on the Indiana side of the Wabash River is Sunrise Coal’s inactive load-out. Sunrise Energy loadout. E Mt Carmel IN.
13. This facility is served by NS. Sunrise Energy loadout. E Mt Carmel IN.
14. NS 7528-8161-9544 passing the “West Douglas” signal leaving Princeton IN with w/b #224-27 (Westlake FL – Kansas City MO). No. 224 has 7/0 vans after setting off 53 empty auto racks for the nearby Toyota plant.
15. NS 7528-8161-9544. View 2. Princeton IN.
16. Portion of the former Southern Ry. steam locomotive shop in Princeton IN. It is now a manufacturing plant.
17. NS yard office and NS engine 9917 at Princeton IN.
18. NS “West Douglas” signal looking west at Princeton IN. 08-30-2021.
19. NS Southern-West.
20. NS Southern-East.
I headed south to I-64 and the long drive home.