Peabody Energy Bear Run Mine - Dugger, IN - Part 1
One of the highlights of the joint Louisville & Nashville Historical Society/Chicago & Eastern Illinois Historical Society 2014 Convention was the tour of Peabody Energy’s Bear Run surface mine near Dugger, IN.
1. This is the front of the huge shop building where they do maintenance on the giant Caterpillar rock trucks.
2. Inside the hugh shop building.
3. Preparation plant.
4. Bear Run Mine load out.
5. INRD train loading CEFX tubs for Hoosier Energy at Merom, IL which is only a short distance to the west. Indiana Southern has a loaded train for Indianapolis Power & Light and is waiting for a crew.
6. Bear Run loads three or four trains per day. They can handle up to 135 cars per train.
7. I’m not sure what that red/green light is for.
8. Indiana Southern 3372 is now part of the Genesee & Wyoming family of short lines.
9. Illinois & Midland is the former Chicago & Illinois Midland. This is a former Southern Ry. SD24 that was rebuilt by ICG as a “SD20.” I&M is now a G&W company also. IM SD20 81.
10. The three SD40-2s seen in this lashup are all ex-FURX, exx-BNSF nee BN. IS SD40-2 3386.
11. IS SD40-2 3385.
12. IM 81.
13. IM SD20 81. View 2.
14. IS 3372.
15. Truck crossing the scales to get a tare weight after it dumped is load.
16. That’s our group walking back to the busses.
Stay Tuned for Part 2.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young.
last update - 12 Dec 2014