Peabody Energy Bear Run Mine - Dugger, IN - Part 2
Rail Fan Adventure --
One of the highlights of the joint Louisville & Nashville Historical Society/Chicago & Eastern Illinois Historical Society 2014 Convention was the tour of Peabody Energy’s Bear Run surface mine near Dugger, IN. Part 2.
17. This giant dragline was used at Peabody’s closed Hawthorn Mine. The Bear Run Mine borders the old Hawthorn Mine which was served by Conrail and Soo. Mine officials said this dragline hasn’t been used in many years, but there are no plans to scrap it. So it is in long term storage on a secure site just in case it is needed again.
18. Stockpiling operation.
19. The topsoil carried by the truck on the left will be used for reclamation.
20. Bear Run is mining an area that was previously part of the Hawthorn Mine and Amax Coal’s Minnehaha Mine. The dragline pictured here was acquired from Amax who used it at their Chinook Mine near Brazil, IN. Peabody used it at the Farmersburg Mine (served by CSX and INRD) until it closed a few years ago. Then it was moved from Farmersburg to Bear Run.
22. Trucking. View 2.
23. Trucking. Vehicle Number 183.
24. Trucking. View 4.
25. Drills. They will put the shot off between shifts.
26. Trucking. Vehicle Number 180.
27. Trucking. Vehicle Number 172.
28. Spare dragline bucket.
29. Operations overview.
30. Peabody dragline.
31. INRD 9008 is slowly moving forward on a track parallel to the IP&L train. Trains exit via the track on the left.
32. INRD SD9043 MAC 9008-CEFX 119 with the load-out in the distance. INRD 9008-CIT 119.
33. Our tour busses at the Bear Run Mine. I was on the yellow bus. Just above the shoulder of the man with the blue hard hat can be seen a propane tank strapped to the side of the bus. This was for a heater inside the bus. A couple of bench seats were taken out on the right side for installation of the heater.