1. RBMN 425 backs up to the turntable. Jim Thorpe PA.
2. The Pottsville Fall Foliage Train pulls down to load. RBMN 2012. Jim Thorpe PA.
3. RBMN 2012 is one of three ex-NS, nee-Southern GP38-2s on RBMN’s roster. 2011 is on the other end. These are advertised as Budd car trains. Maybe the number of passengers exceeded the capacity of the Budds. Jim Thorpe PA.
4. Budd RDC-3 9166 was built in 1958 for the Boston & Maine. It later served Reading and SEPTA (South East PA Transportation Authority). C&O used similar RDC-3s and 4s on Big Sandy passenger trains 36 and 39 in the waning years of the early ‘60s. RBMN 9166-9168. Jim Thorpe PA.
5. A Lehigh Gorge train arrives behind RBMN caboose 92848, an ex-Reading class NMj built 1936. Jim Thorpe PA.
6. That turreted ex-CNJ depot is a classic. Patrons are lined up to purchase tickets for the 3:00 Lehigh Gorge trip (70 minutes). RBMN 2533. Jim Thorpe PA.
7. The Lehigh Coal & Navigation Building harkens back to the days when Mauch Chunk was a canal port for anthracite coal. The Carbon County Court House and Packer Mansion are to the right. LC&N bldg. Jim Thorpe PA.
8. Carbon County courthouse. Jim Thorpe PA.
9. Busy Broadway St. was the center of a coal age empire. Jim Thorpe PA.
10. The “Molly McGuires” were tried and hung here. Carbon County courthouse. Jim Thorpe PA.
11. Asa Packer invested in the predecessor of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and was a benefactor of Lehigh University in Bethlehem PA. We toured the mansion previously. Asa Packer Mansion. Jim Thorpe PA.
12. Another view of Broadway Street with its many shops. Jim Thorpe PA.
13. RBMN 425 comes back from the turntable. Jim Thorpe PA.
14. RBMN 425. View 2. Jim Thorpe PA.
15. RBMN 425. View 3. Jim Thorpe PA.
16. RBMN 2533 leaves with the 3:00 PM Lehigh Gorge train for a 70 minute round trip. Jim Thorpe PA.
17. RBMN 425 “pops off”. It is time to begin boarding for the 3:30 PM departure. Jim Thorpe PA.
18. Baldwin builders plate. RBMN 425. Jim Thorpe PA.
19. The engineer “oiling around.” RBMN 425.
20. RBMN 425. Crew oiling around. View 2.
21. Logo on tender. RBMN 425.
22. Boarding car 304. Sue is leaning against the wall in green. RBMN 425.
23. Sue has supported the local economy by buying some books. RBMN 425.
24. Detraining at 6:12 PM. RBMN 425 arriving Outer Station. Reading PA.
25. The rest rooms are in the RBMN tower. I can’t offer you a historical perspective to this area, but this structure is a faithful reproduction. NR Outer Station. Reading PA.
All for now.