1. Coal tipple, camp cars, car shop, coal dock and "The Knoll". 3-7-70. View 1.
2. Coal tipple, camp cars, car shop, coal dock and "The Knoll". 3-7-70. View 2
3. The view from School House Hill. B&O GP38s 3813-3819 and C&O 3894 on the ready track. Still a wooden caboose in there. 3-27-70.
4. B&O GP30 6937-5832 get serviced between runs. 5-7-70. James Pleasant's '66 Impala. Sand house behind the GP30. Look at that Cat dozer.
5. Yard track indicator light at east end of yard. I never saw it operating. It was gone in a few years, replaced by radios. The eastbound signal is for the main line. It has been replaced and relocated to the other side of the track. The dwarf is on the yard lead and still in service. Pole lines and telephone booths are long gone. 5-25-70.
6. This is the back door of the bunk house. How could anyone sleep with all of that banging around! This is now the yard office. C&O 6256, 5999, 5967 and 3562 are in view at the west end of the yard.
7. Side view of the 3-stall roundhouse. B&O GP38 3812 and a C&O Ford F-100 pickup used by "shop" force. 9-25-70.
8. B&O GP38 no. 3812. Dig that Coke thermometer on the pole. Almost 80 degrees on this 9-29-70 day. Don't know what the gray shed was used for.
9. B&O F7a 4630 and C&O 5905 get serviced between runs. B&O units -- especially Fs -- were still rare at this time. 10-13-70.
10. Filling the front sand box. Coal docks served for many years after the demise of steam.
11. 4630-5905 take a ride on the turntable. The red shed housed the fire hydrant and presumably a water hose.
12. Who parked this old car in front of these two new GP38s!! I'd like to have that vintage Mustang. Ready track and cab track on the left. Engines are parked on the boiler track. 10-13-70.
13. No. 92 eastbound passes the east end of Shelby on its daily run from Russell to Elkhorn City. No. 7512-2314 are the power this day. They will come back in late afternoon or evening on No. 95. The crew and caboose, however, will come down in early morning on No. 97. Right to left is yard track #1, #2 and the Thoroughfare Track running to the west end. 11-29-70.
14. No. 92 has a clear run. A mine run waits to follow it up the river to one of the several coal branches.
15. GP9s 6049-6016 pull in on #1 with eastbound empty hoppers. Trees have obscured this view. 11-70.