Kurt Reisweber is doing a new book on the Southern Ry., and these are shots that didn’t make the cut.
1. Southern SW-1 1011 was stationed at Lawrenceburg KY, because of the weight restriction on Young’s High Bridge on the branch to Lexington. 09-01-1975.
2. Southern SW-1 1011 with Caboose 124. 05-15-1979.
3. Southern Ry 7060-7044-BN 6246 with w/b freight #120 grinds up Duncan hill at Edwardsville IN. He is doubling the hill from New Albany and has 37 cars. Train originated at Youngtown Yard (K&IT) in Louisville. It is a steep climb out of the Ohio River valley. 09-03-1981.
4. West portal of Duncan Tunnel, Duncan IN.
5. First cut of No. 121 in Duncan siding. BN 6246-Sou 7044-7060 head back down the hill for the second cut. 09-03-1981.
6. Second cut reaching the summit. Duncan siding.
7. Southern 7024 coming out of tunnel with w/b freight on 09-23-1981.
8. Southern 2749-2539-2577-2586 on local #88 working the Conrail interchange at Oakland City IN. On the right is the former NYC branch. 09-23-1981.
9. The Southern main is on the left. I was here a few years ago, and the interchange tracks were gone, but the signals were still active.
10. Local 88 leaves Oakland City heading west.
11. Conrail (ex-NYC) looking north. The interchange track is gone now, but the interlocking signal was still there a few years ago. Indiana Southern now operates the former CR line. 05-19-1993.
12. Looking west on Southern at Oakland City IN. Note the Southern’s street crossing horn signal – 2 longs, a short and a long. 05-19-1993.
13. Southern 2657-2527-2607 on local #72 working Browns IL. 09-25-1981.
14. Southern 2657-2527-2401. Note the ALCo trucks on the GP35.
15. Southern 2668-2647-2576 on an e/b extra at Wayne City IL. 09-25-1981.
16. Southern GP30 2609 is on s/b local #72 at Boonville IN. 09-24-1981.
17. This train heads from Huntingburg to Evansville.
18. Southern - Western Div map.
All for now.