1. The towns we visited are highlighted in yellow. Routes were US 62, US 6, and US 219. PA road map Warren-Coudersport. Click here for a larger image.
2. The former B&O depot at Kane was on the Northern Subdivision. Originally the Pittsburgh & Western RR. A portion was sold to the Knox & Kane RR in 1982, and most of the rest abandoned.
We breezed through Kane, and I didn’t bother to explore the Buffalo & Pittsburgh (ex-PRR) through town. Wish I had. Kane PA depot, ex-B&O. Monday 06-21-2021.
3. B&O 2-8-0s 3133-3117 at Kane. Both are class E-60 and came from the Buffalo & Susquehanna takeover. No. 3133 was sold to the Wellsville, Addison & Galeton in 1955 when that road took over that portion of the old B&S. No. 3117 was scrapped in 1955. B&O 3133. Kane PA. 1954.
4. B&O 3133-3117. View 2. Kane PA. 1954.
5. B&O Time-Table #35. 1953. Northern sub-division.
6. B&O employee time table #1 for 1969. Northern sub-division.
7. B&O divisional map from 1953 showing the Northern Sub. and the isolated former Buffalo & Susquehanna Railway lines out of Galeton. From B&O Time-Table #35. 1953. Wharton Addison. Click here for a larger image.
8. PRR depot. Kane PA. 1907.
9. The B&P goes through Kane regularly. PRR roundhouse. Kane PA.
10. Penn Central Erie line circa 1975. CR Erie Sec (Kane).
11. PRR Northern Region #3. PRR Main Line Erie. 04-28-1957.
12. After finding a motel in Bradford, we did some exploring before going to eat. The sun was going down by the time we found BPRR 2177 and 2000 parked after a days work. BPRR is probably a GP38-2. Bradford PA.
13. BPRR 2000 is ex-CSX GP38 2037, nee-B&O 3837. Bradford PA.
14. BR&P depot. Bradford PA. Circa 1907.
15. BR&P depot. Bradford PA. Circa 1910. Note the oil derrick in the background.
16. The E-L is gone, but BPRR still operates some of its trackage around Bradford that serve industries. Erie depot. Bradford PA. 1910.
17. This refinery is still working, but I can’t remember the name. Kendall is the name of a local creek. The track is probably the B&O. Bradford PA.
18. Bradford, PA-NY, 1:62,500 quad, 1944, USGS. Click here for a larger image.
19. Buffalo & Pittsburgh 454-461-451 lead southbound freight SIJB (Salamanca NY to Johnsonburg PA) out of Bradford with 71 cars on 06-04-2009. The famous Case knife factory is just to my right. Bradford has a Case knife and Zippo lighter museum. This former B&O CPL has been taken out of service. S Bradford PA.
20. BPRR signals looking south at Mt. Jewett PA. CP Mt. Jewett was the south end of a controlled siding. 06-04-2009.
21. BPRR Mt Jewett PA approach. Approach signal. SIJB is getting close! 06-04-2009.
22. BPRR 454-461-451. Mt Jewett. SIJB. 06-04-2009.
23. BR&P map from 1925. B&O acquired it around 1930. Cropped. Click here for a larger image.
24. B&O map from timetable #35, 1953. Mt. Jewett was around the top of the hill from Bradford to Johnsonville. Note the Northern Sub. begins at Mt. Jewett. Main Line SD. Click here for a larger image.
25. B&O Buffalo Div. employee timetable #1, 04-27-1969. B&O Main Line SD.
26. B&O #1 timetable map 1969. It’s upside down! Buffalo Div map.
27. G&W system time-table #2 1999.
28. G&W B&P Main Line Sub. #2. 1999. Click here for a slightly larger image.
29. B&P ran over CSX’s P&W Sub. from Eidenau to New Castle yard. NS controlled the Indiana coal branches. From G&W #2. 1999. Click here for a larger iamge.
We will visit Kinzua Bridge State Park tomorrow.