1.Oil Region map. Titusville Oil City. Click here for a larger image.
2. We inquired at the Caboose Motel, but it was no vacancy. There were no vehicles...everyone was riding the train or sightseeing. Great collection of cabooses, but they are not necessarily painted for the historically correct railroad. Oil Creek & Titusville RR.
3. Oil Creek & Titusville RR brochure. Part 2.
4. OC&T depot. Titusville PA.
5. The Western New York & Pennsylvania operated the line from Buffalo to New Castle PA prior to it becoming the Pennsy. Oil Creek & Titusville RR operates over the former PRR Chautauqua Secondary south to Rouseville. OC&T depot Titusville PA. Click here for a larger image.
6. Penn Central employee 1975. PC Titus, Oil City sec 1975.
7. OC&T 75 S-2 is ex-New York & Lake Erie nee-South Buffalo RY and was built in 1947. Titusville PA. 06-20-2021.
8. OC&T 75. View 2. Titusville PA.
9. OC&T 85 has the same history, but it was built in 1950. Titusville PA.
10. It is obvious where this caboose came from. C&O cab 904121. Titusville PA.
11. No secret here! C&O cab 903261. Titusville PA.
The train had already departed on its daily Sunday run. The Drake Well Museum was my main goal today, and its open hours were limited.
12. Drake Well Museum brochure.
13. The Drake Well Museum is great!! More interesting stuff than I ever dreamed. Drake Well Museum brochure. Part 2.
14. Drake Transportation of oil brochure. Click here for a larger image.
15. Drake transportation of oil. Part 2. Click here for a larger image.
16. Drake storage of oil brochure. Click here for a larger image.
17. Drake storage of oil. Part 2. Click here for a larger image.
18. Oil Creek SP history. Click here for a larger image.
19. OC&T beside the Drake Well Park. There is also a train boarding canopy/platform here. OC&T crossing near Titusville PA.
20. Flat called a Densmore tank car. Imagine two large vats held together by staves. This was the first successful method of transporting oil in the Civil War era. Densmore tank car.
21. Densmore tank car. View 2.
22. Densmore tank car. View 3.
23. Densmore tank car.
24. Lobdells Inproved Single Plate Wheel, Wilmington DE, 01-17-1865, ptd. 1861 #9. Densmore tank car.
25. Drake Well Museum display of the Densmore tank car. Click here for a larger image.
26. Iron horses move black gold. Click here for a larger image.
27. Densmore tank car marker.
28. I would say that loading and unloading these cars was a dirty and smelly MESS! Densmore tank car with drawing.
29. Densmore-patent-AOGHS drawing.
30. Densmore tank car manufacturing. Click here for a larger image.
31. Densmore-AOGHS in color. Click here for a larger image.
32. Densmore tank car.Click here for a larger image.
33. Metal tanks have replace the Densmore type cars. Note the discarded tubs or vats in the foreground. Densmore-2-PA-History-AOGHS.
34. Dedication of the Drake Well Museum. Densmore tank car dedication.
35. Oil Creek SP. Click here for a larger image.
36. The train had arrived back at the depot. OC&T 3568 is a Montreal Locomotive Works model M420W built 09-1976. MLW built 88 of these units between 1973 and 1977, most of which went to CN. It has an ALCo 251C prime mover rated at 2,000 HP. This unit came via St. Thomas & Eastern but was originally CN. Titusville PA.
37. OC&T 3568. View 2. Titusville PA.
38. Next we will explore the Oil City and Franklin area. OC&T 3568. View 3. Titusville PA.