Whitewater Valley Railroad's Vintage Collection - 08-04-2019
After leaving the C&OHS annual conference in West Chester OH, we travelled over to Connersville IN, and rode the Whitewater Valley Railroad’s noon train to Metamora and back. Upon returning I shot the line of vintage rolling stock and locomotives lined up along the state highway south of town in perfect late afternoon light. It was quite impressive!!
1. Muncie & Western 8 appears to be a GE 95-ton (500-660 HP). M&W was owned by the Ball Brothers Glass Mfg. in later years. Connersville IN.
2. Whitewater Valley’s engine house with Lima 750 HP switcher 25 inside. No. 25 is supposedly the only surviving Lima diesel. WVRR shop. Connersville IN.
3. Lima 25 was ordered in 1951 by Cincinnati Union Terminal. It is normally used on the dinner trains. WVRR 25. Connersville IN.
4. Milwaukee Road SD 532 was sent to Chrome Locomotive in 1980 for upgrading. It’s new designation is “SD10” but the horsepower stayed at 1,750. Connersville IN.
5. MILW 532. SD10. View 2. Connersvile IN.
6. Ex-NYC 9339 is an ALCo model S-1. Connersville IN.
7. WVRR caboose C2129 was built in 1927 as a class I-5. They were built by B&O shops at Washington IN, and Mt. Clare MD. This cab was acquired by the WVRR in 1974. Connersville IN.
8. WVRR caboose C2129. View 2. WWVRR Logo. Metamora IN.
9. This ex-C&O caboose 90299 was in service on the “Metamora Local” out of Metamora IN. It could stand a paint job. Metamora IN.
10. NYC transfer caboose 18278 was built by that road’s Dispatch Shops at East Rochester NY, in 1968. Metamora IN.
11. U. S. Navy 65-00053 appears to be a GE model 48-ton. It was assigned to the Puget Sound Navy Yard in Washington state. Metamora IN.
12. B&O caboose C2232 is a class I-5D built by company shops in 1929. WVRR acquired it in 1974 for $800. Metamora IN.
13. Bethlehem Mines Corp. 346 came from the Patapsco & Back Rivers Railroad, another Bethlehem Steel subsidiary. It is a rebuilt Baldwin S-12. Connersville IN.
14. Amhearst Industries 99 was used at their Port Amhearst WV barge dumper east of Charleston. It likewise came from the P&BR through Bethlehem Mines Corp. Connersville IN.
15. This CN 56752 air dump car was built in 1958. Connersville IN.
16. Another view of the ALCo S-1. NYC 9339. Connersville IN.
17. CN 56752-9339. Connersville IN.
18. NYC 0-6-0 6894 is ex-Nicholson Terminal & Dock, and exx-Wyandotte Southern, nee-Michigan Central. It was one of the numerous B-10w class on Central’s roster. Connersville IN.
19. Erie caboose 04946 was built by Magor Car Corp. in 1930. Identical Pere Maquette’s A800s were built at the same time. Perhaps the Advisory Mechanical Committee had influence on both Van Sweringen roads buying this design. Connersville IN.
20. Another B&O I-5. B&O caboose C2125. Connersville IN.
21. Elgin, Joliet & Eastern caboose 521. EJ&E was a U. S. Steel road. Connersville IN.
22. And another I-5. B&O caboose C2028. Connersville IN.
23. NKP caboose 759 came from the Wheeling & Lake Erie. Clinchfield had similar cabs. Connersville IN.
24. B&O boxcar 270113 was one of the 14,000 class M-26s built 1925-31. Pennsy’s X-29 class was almost identical. Connersville IN.
25. VGN boxcar 63220 was a class BX-15 built by Pullman-Standard in 1952. Connersville IN.
26. Virginian trucks! VGN 63220 truck. Connersville IN.
27. VGN box 63220. View 2. Connersville IN.
28. This ancient dump car had reporting marks MCC or MCQ as best I could tell. It probably belonged to an industry. MCC or MCQ dump 7. Connersville IN.
29. It was built by Kilbourne & Jacobs Mfg. Co. of Columbus OH. MCC or MCQ dump 7 builder's plaque. Connersville IN.
All for now.