I scanned a bunch of my slides for the latest C&OHS book Chesapeake & Ohio – The Decades of Change – 1961-1981. Only a few were used. Before I file them back away, I thought I’d share them with you.
1. C&O 7431-5750 w/b passing through Paintsville Yard in 06-1978. The main line was later re-routed around the east side next to the river. Big Sandy SD.
2. C&O 6155 w/b shifter at Van Lear Jct. on 03-1977. Millers Creek SD to Van Lear (and Butcher Hollow of Loretta Lynn fame) on left. This is double track territory, and there is a small tipple around the curve. Big Sandy SD.
3. C&O 8105-8104-8114 on w/b #97 at Boldman. 05-1974. Big Sandy SD.
4. C&O 7304-5777 w/b 143-car coal drag at west end of Pauley passing siding. 12-1970. Big Sandy SD.
5. C&O 3787 on w/b #97 at the east end of Pauley. 06-1973. Big Sandy SD.
6. C&O 3852-7302 e/b setting off local freight at Pikeville. 06-1971. Big Sandy SD.
7. C&O 6013 on w/b coal drag, Pikeville. That’s a passing siding on the right. 08-1975. Big Sandy SD.
8. C&O 7428-5769-5904 on w/b #97 at east end of Pikeville passing siding. The railroad, 4-lane highway, and river now go through the massive cut in the background. That’s Citation Coal Co. Pikeville 2 tipple. 04-1976. Big Sandy SD.
9. C&O 6141-5890 on w/b 100-car coal drag passing Pikeville depot. 09-1976. Circle C Coal Co. Sowards tipple on right. Big Sandy SD.
10. C&O 7439 on e/b #192 at Pikeville. That’s the “team track” on the right. 05-1978. Big Sandy SD.
11. C&O 6096-7504 on e/b #192 passing Pikeville depot. 06-1978. Big Sandy SD.
12. C&O 7431 on w/b #97 passing west end of Pikeville Cut-thru Project. 07-02-1978. Big Sandy SD.
13. C&O 7536-2329-3309 on w/b #97. First train through Pikeville Cut-thru Project. 07-07-1978. Big Sandy SD.
14. Pikeville Mayor and Pike County Judge Executive (on ground). C&O Road Foreman of Engines (in tie and blue shirt) on engine with crew. C&O Big Sandy SD.
15. C&O 3783-8226 on e/b empties at east end of Pikeville Cut-thru. 07-23-1978. Big Sandy SD.
16. The saddest train of all. C&O 7426 on work train removing track in Pikeville. 02-1980. Big Sandy SD.
17. C&O 4181-4269 on w/b coal drag struggling to get up to speed after leaving Shelby. Kewaunee. 12-29-1979. Big Sandy SD.
18. C&O 3791-6060-4826-6138 starting an e/b coal train on main line at Fords Branch. The main track in the foreground becomes the Shelby switching lead east of this crossover. 05-29-1972. Big Sandy SD.
19. C&O 8238-2329-6047 on w/b #97 passing Shelby. The manifest trains still terminated and originated at the Clinchfield yard in Elkhorn City. 04-1980. Big Sandy SD.
20. C&O 4070 et. al. entering Coon Creek SD at Levisa Jct. with empties for Johns Creek. 05-07-1978. Big Sandy SD.
21. C&O 3569-6003-2309 e/b Elkhorn Shifter at Elkhorn City with interchange loads for the Clinchfield. 12-1970. Big Sandy SD.
22. C&O 6246-7533-3303 Elkhorn Shifter at Elkhorn City with coal loads for the Clinchfield. 10-1977. Big Sandy SD.
These are low resolution scans. More later.