We recently visited Corbin KY, and I was reminded what an important place it was on the L&N in years past. So I dug into my slides to have a look.
1. My first visit was on 11-22-1970. I had been with my parents to a football game in Knoxville between UK and UT (we lost). I persuaded them to return home via Corbin. S-2 2323 was switching near the depot. L&N. Corbin KY.
2. L&N RS-3 158. I’m curious about the caboose in the background. Corbin KY.
3. U25C is ex-Oro Dam contractors. L&N. Corbin KY.
4. L&N 152, 1414, and 1502 at the locomotive shop. L&N ordered new U25Cs also. Corbin KY.
5. L&N RS-3 140 and leased CRR F7a 807 on 02-04-1973. Corbin KY.
6. L&N slug 2051 is matched to C420 1303 as a yard engine. Corbin KY.
7. L&N U25C 1522 is ex-Oro Dam. It was built in 1964 and acquired by L&N in 1967 after it was no longer needed in the construction of the California dam. L&N acquired all eight of the units. Corbin KY.
8. L&N 1522. View 2. Corbin KY.
9. CRR 815 was also leased by parent L&N during a chronic power shortage that lasted the whole decade of the 1970s. L&N. Corbin KY.
10. L&N C420s had been downgraded to coal field service by 1973. CorbinKY.
11. Slug 2050 with mother RS-3 142. 2050 was rebuilt from RS-3 150 in 1970 and retired in 1982. Corbin KY.
12. L&N 142. Corbin KY.
13. An empty hopper train arrives from the south behind SD40 1217 with SCL 616-L&N 1486-SCL 615. 02-04-1973. L&N. Corbin KY.
14. SCL 616 is an ex-SAL SDP35 passenger unit. L&N. Corbin KY.
15. On 05-16-1979 L&N had quite a few Espee units on the property including this U33C. But new SD40-2s and C30-7s in Family Lines gray were being delivered to ease the power shortage brought on by a surge in steam coal demand. L&N. Corbin KY.
16. At the south end of the West Yard we found C420 parked and Extra 1477 ready to go south when a crew was available. L&N. Corbin KY.
17. View from the former station platform looking south at the north end of West Yard. The engines are coming off the north leg of the wye to the Cumberland Valley Sub. U. S. Steel’s preparation plant is in the background. 08-30-1983. L&N. Corbin KY.
18. SCL’s version of a slug was called a “Mate”. 3212 is mated with U36B 1838. 09-05-1983. L&N. Corbin KY.
19. View looking north at the south throat of the West Yard. L&N. Corbin KY.
20. New SBD SD50s 8514-8517-8512-8508 parked at the service area on this quiet Sunday, 09-05-1983. L&N. Corbin KY.
21. L&N MP15AC 4231 with U25B 1616, “Mate” 3220 and U36B 1835 at the old diesel shop. Corbin KY.
22. An ex-Monon caboose brings up the rear of the parked wreck train. O&W SD40-2s are being serviced. Things are quiet because this is the Labor Day weekend. 09-05-1983. L&N. Corbin KY.
23. Shamrock Coal acquired a bunch of SD40-2s, tubs and cabooses to insure they would have dedicated equipment to move their coal to customers. The engines and cabooses were built to L&N specs. A company official used the name Oneida & Western from the abandoned short-line that once operated out of Oneida TN. Shamrock had a mine at Manchester KY. L&N. Corbin KY.
24. This scene would soon change when CSX rebuilt the yard. L&N. Corbin KY.
25. L&N terminal. Corbin KY.