1. N/b shifter about to pass through Sandy Ridge Tunnel. Caboose was originally wood, but rebuilt with steel sides. Clinchfield Coal (Div. of Pittston) is on the right. Trammel VA. 05-14-1973.
2. Late on this autumn day an Elkhorn Turn starts down grade at Trammel after traversing Sandy Ridge Tunnel. 11-10-1974.
3. CRR 2008-902-3015 have a Nora Turn s/b at Trammel. 12-28-1976.
4. CRR 8127-3619-3626 pull up the Trammel passing siding with a C&O Dante Turn. The train has 60 loads out of Shelby with a C&O crew. 03-27-1992.
5. #97 passes the waiting Dante Turn. 03-27-1992.
6. North portal of Sandy Ridge Tunnel. Top of the grade between the Big Sandy and the Clinch River. At 7,854 feet the longest on the Clinchfield. 04-27-1974.
7. CRR 3022-866-3000 on the s/b Moss Turn in Sandy Ridge Tunnel. 09-05-1971.
8. CRR 3022-866-3000 on the s/b Moss Turn in Sandy Ridge Tunnel. View 2. 09-05-1971.
9. It took a while for the smoke to clear from the tunnel.
10. South portal of Sandy Ridge Tunnel. 04-27-1974.
11. CRR 2005-2004-3615 struggle up the 1.8% between Dante and Sandy Ridge Tunnel. This short grade is the steepest northbound on the CRR main line. The Rex Turn will drop its 127 empties along the way down to below Haysi. 03-30-1982.
12. CRR depot at Dante. 03-06-1976.
13. CRR 3007-800-911-2001 pull through the switch at Dante depot onto the passing siding with the Moss Turn. 06-18-1977.
14. The Moss Turn heads into Dante Yard. The Elkhorn Turn waits to depart off the main line. 03-18-1977.
15. CRR 3024-3003-915-912 wait to Depart with the Elkhorn Turn.
16. The Elkhorn Turn gets the signal to depart Dante. 06-18-1977.
17. The track on the right went up the Middle Fork of Lick Creek, aka Straight Hollow, many years ago.
18. CRR 3006-200-800-2005 with #26 drop into Dante Yard. Their loads will be dropped for weighing and weighed cars will be picked up for Erwin. The installation of a weigh-in-motion scale at Kingsport eliminated the need for weighing at Dante. 04-02-1978.
19. CRR 3022-3006 doubles over its train before departing Dante up the steep 1.8% to the tunnel. 08-05-1979.
Next we’ll look at Dante Yard scenes.