1. CSX clear w/b block signal 91.5 at Betsy Layne KY. 11-07-2020.
2. CSX “CM44AH” rebuilt AC44s 7232-7237 (former 284 and 340) lead T209-05 w/b (McClure mine-Newport News DTA pier) on 11-07-2020. CSX Betsy Layne KY.
3. CSX 7237-7232. View 2. Betsy Layne KY.
4. 100 cars deep are CSX DPUs 7225-7236 (ex-209, 267). CSX Betsy Layne KY.
5. Just out of the paint shop! CSX 7236-7225 DPU. Betsy Layne KY.
6. Q692 with CSX 3092-5487-3421 pulls to a stop just west of FO Cabin to pick up the conductor. 12-19-2020. CSX FO Cabin.
7. CSX “CM44AC” 7008 (ex-164) comes from AC44s in the 1-199 group. Shelby KY. 12-19-2020.
8. CSX 7008 CM44AC. View 2. Shelby KY.
9. CSX CM44AC 7008-848. Shelby KY.
10. CSX CM44AC 7008. View 3. Shelby KY.
11. CSX 878-5354 e/b on K706 with 82 ethanol loads. FO Cabin. 12-26-2020.
12. Q693-25 was departing Shelby, so I headed up to Elkhorn City. This southbound freight regularly runs at night. CSX 3267-767-3412 have 34/69, 6,062 ft. 12-26-2020. CSX Elkhorn City.
13. CRR profile. Elkhorn City. Click here for a larger image.
14. K706 with CSX 878-5354 is not far behind. CSX Elkhorn Yard KY.
15. In the steam era there were two water tanks located at this spot. CSX 878-5354. Elkhorn Yard KY.
16. K706 has a buffer car on both ends between the engines and tankers. CSX 873 DPU. Elkhorn Yard KY.
17. CSX DPU 873 is shoving hard up the steep 1.5% grade through Elkhorn Yard. The Apex tipple is inactive. Elkhorn Yard KY.
18. CSX Elkhorn Yard diagram. Click here for a larger image.
19. CSX Elkhorn Yard Apex II diagram. Click here for a larger image.
20. CSX 891-428 hit the heavy grade at the old Elkhorn City depot site with N759-25, a s/b 110-car Newell PA to Terrell NC. Duke Energy coal train. 01-29-2021. CSX Elkhorn City.
21. Medium clear signal at the north end of Elkhorn siding. CSX 891-428. Elkhorn City.
22. CSX DPUs 131-908. CSX Elkhorn City.
23. Former C&O caboose 90231 at the Elkhorn City Railroad Museum. CSX 131-908 DPU. Elkhorn City.
24. CSX yard tracks 9 and 10 have been removed at Shelby. 02-05-2021.
25. Shelby Yard diagram. click here for a larger image.
26. Q692-03 arrives Shelby behind CSX 3201-5311-919 on 02-05-2021.
27. After a brief crew change Q692 leaves for Russell with 39/37, 6,201 tons and a length of 4,566 ft. CSX 3201-5311-919. Shelby.
28. Passing through an open area once occupied with the Chaparral Coal Co. Umet preparation plant, U903-08 with CSX 727-449-3333 heads to Shelby with 200 empty tubs on 03-90-2021. CSX FO Cabin.
All for now.