1. CSX CW44AC 5116 comes into Shelby after leaving their ethanol train at Fords Branch. The air compressor wasn’t working on one unit, and they came into the yard to get another before the new crew took off for the roller coaster former Clinchfield. 03-01-2020. Shelby KY.
2. CSX 5116. View 2. Shelby KY.
3. CSX 5116-896-574-4047 roll up the main line with K429-28 and 98 loads (all but two buffer cars are ethanol). They will stop shortly for a crew change. Shelby KY.
4. CSX 5116-896-574-4047. View 2. Shelby KY.
5. We went up to the east end of the yard to get the K429 departing, and found this dilemma. CSX 449 split the switch. CSX 449-3142 derailed. Shelby KY.
6. CSX 5116-896-574-4047 K429-28 heads for Kingsport. Shelby KY.
7. It was quickly determined that this CSX hydraulic lift truck wasn’t going to do it. CSX 449 5116. Shelby KY.
8. Yep, it’s on the ground. CSX 449 derailed. Shelby KY.
9. It is later in the day. There is also a broken rail under all of that. CSX 449 derailed. Shelby KY.
10. Here comes the calvary! CSX 449 derailed. Shelby KY.
11. Donahue Brothers arrived from Barboursville WV. CSX 449 derailed. Shelby KY.
12. Those Cat side-booms make short work of re-railing the CSX 449. Shelby KY.
13. CSX 449 re-railing. View 2. Shelby KY.
14. The side-booms trammed up the river side of the yard so as to not damaged the paved road. CSX 449 re-railing. Shelby KY.
15. Donahue Bros Caterpillar 583 side boom tractor. Note the rubber treads on the tracks. 03-01-2020. Shelby KY.
16. CSX 449 re-railing. Shelby KY.
17. Donahue Bros Cat 583 sideboom. Shelby KY.
18. CSX 3450-7002 switch Q692-09 at Shelby on 03-11-2020. Shelby KY.
19. CSX 3450-7002 and Q692-09 depart via the switching lead with 1 load and 37 empties (2,416 feet in length). Shelby KY.
20. CSX SD70MAC 4536 heads work train W049 w/b at Ivel KY on 03-21-2020.
21. C&O air-dump 913305 brings up the rear. CSX 4536. Ivel KY.
22. CSX 4536 W049 at Prestonsburg KY.
23. This “rip rap” was brought to Shelby in case it was needed at the big slide and derailment at Draffin. Evidently CSX keeps this train on stand-by in case of a severe washout. CSX 4536. Prestonsburg KY.
24. Looks like a few of the cars were dumped. 03-21-2020. CSX 4536. Prestonsburg KY.
All for now.