1. When Q692 rumbled by on this quiet Friday afternoon after work I bolted into action and rushed down to Betsy Layne, a guaranteed afternoon lighted shot of a westbound (heading north). CSX 403 is followed by SD70ACe-T4 8909 and 828. CSX 403-8909-828. Betsy Layne KY.
2. CSX 8909 SD70ACe-T4 (complies with Tier 4 emissions regulations) is one of 10 CSX has leased from builder Progress Rail (Caterpillar). Its build date is 05-2019. These were initially used in Florida, but I’ve seen them occasionally and as recently as last week. The T4P4 version has only four powered axles, the inboard axles not having traction motors. Betsy Layne KY.
3. Q692 passing Beaver Jct. KY CSX 403-8909-828.
4. Weird trucks. Perhaps that is why they are rated at 200,000 lbs. starting T.E. CSX 8909 SD70ACe-T4. Beaver Jct KY.
5. CSX 403-8909-828. Beaver Jct KY.
6. A down-on roof view. Off the Town Branch bridge at Prestonsburg KY. CSX 8909 SD70ACe-T4.
7. CSX 8388 “SD40-2” is ex-C&O SD40 7529 built by EMD 03-1971. Shelby KY on 06-20-2020.
8. CSX 3415 is model ET44AH. Shelby KY on 07-04-2020.
9. Commemorating the Georgia Railroad. CSX ET44AH 3415. Shelby KY.
10. Also on the Fourth, Q692-02 came by behind CSX 3102-910-59-9993-9998 with 63 cars. Those F40PHs must be heading to Huntington shop. My favorite afternoon run to location – Betsy Layne KY.
11. Trying out SD70MACe-T4 8901 as a DPU. CSX 8901 Betsy Layne KY DPU SD70ACe-T4.
12. I confess; I got the car count from the defect detector around the curve between Betsy Layne and Tram. CSX 8901 DPU SD70ACe-T4. Betsy Layne KY.
13. Q692-02 off the Town Branch bridge at Prestonsburg KY. Used to be a block signal down there. CSX 3102-910-59-9993-9998. 07-04-2020.
14. CSX F40PH-2 9993-9998. Prestonsburg KY.
15. Knowing CSX’s proclivity with late EMD models, I would shoot these before they send them back to Progress Rail after the lease is up. After all the SD70ACes are gone. CSX 8901. Prestonsburg KY.
16. CSX 8008 SD40-2 is ex-L&N and built in 1979. Shelby KY on 07-09-2020.
17. The train is getting close as block signal 915 has blinked on and clear at Betsy Layne KY on 07-18-2020.
18. CSX 8904 SD70ACe-T4 with CSX 565 leads Q692 at Betsy Layne KY on 07-18-2020.
19. CSX 3058 is the DPU this day. Betsy Layne KY.
20. Q692 at Bays Branch between Prestonsburg and OX Cabin (Auxier) off the KY 3 bridge. CSX 8904-564. Bays Branch KY. 07-18-2020.
21. CSX 8904. Bays Branch KY.
22. CSX 8904. Bays Branch KY. view 2.
23. CSX wb clear signal 639 near West Van Lear KY.
24. CSX 8904-564. West Van Lear KY.
25. Q692-16 has 91 cars today. CSX 3058. West Van Lear KY. DPU.
26. Q692-25 is ready to depart Shelby KY behind CSX 966-9992-9999 on 09-27-2020 after a crew change.
27. Q692 on the move. More F40PHs! CSX 966-9992-9999. Shelby KY.
28. CSX 9992 is ex-Amtrak 290 built 03-1980. CSX 9999 is ex-Amtrak 288 built 06-1978. Shelby KY.
29. Just west of FO Cabin KY at the former site of Chaparral Coal’s operation. CSX 9999-9992-966.
30. CSX 3125 DPU was doing most of the work – as usual. FO Cabin KY.
All for now.