On our brief vacation trip through Western Kentucky last fall we stopped at CSX’s Memphis Junction Yard in Bowling Green Ky. Although we had been there before I couldn’t easily find the overpass at the north end of the yard. Instead we were drawn to Memphis Junction Road which lead to a crossing at the south end of the yard. Upon looking north a headlight was coming south through the yard.
1. CSX 3047-5472 thundered by with 172 cars of a combined intermodal and loaded multi-level train headed to Nashville. Memphis Jct KY. 10-20-2020.
2. CSX DPU 3301 assisted this monster train from the middle. Memphis Jct KY.
3. RJC timetable cover.
4. RJC timetable inside contents.
From Bowling Green we continued west toward Russellville following R. J. Corman Railroad’s Memphis Line. RJC acquired this former L&N line from CSX in 1987. L&N operated passenger and freight trains to Memphis over this route. After the merger with the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Ry. in 1956 the L&N’s segment from Bowling Green to McKenzie TN, declined in importance when through freight traffic was shifted to the NC&StL. The former L&N is still used by CSX south from McKenzie to reach the Memphis gateway.
5. L&N Louisville Div. timetable for 1957. Paris TN, was the crew change yard. Today RJC operates only as far south as Cumberland TN, a TVA power plant south of Clarksville.
6. CSX uses the former NC&StL Union City Branch to reach from Bruceton, that road’s crew change yard, to McKenzie. NC&StL’s old main line to from Bruceton through Jackson to Memphis is severed and operated by a short line as is the old branch north toward Paducah through Paris. L&N Nashville route map 1975. Click here for a larger map view.
7. You can see that by 1968 L&N only operated local freights from Memphis Jct. (Bowling Green) to McKenzie TN. L&N Nashville Div timetable 1968. Click here for a slight larger view.
8. We caught up with this R. J. Corman Railroad train heading south at Dennis KY. RJC 3803-3805. 10-20-2020.
9. After frantically looking at the DeLorme Kentucky Atlas & Gazetteer we found this location as the train slowly entered Russellville KY, with 28 cars. RJC 3803-3805.
10. RJC “GP38-3” 3803 and 3805 are ex-Southern GP38s acquired from Norfolk Southern. Russellville KY.
11. R. J. Corman Memphis Line box 4513 is ex-MP 267365. Russellville KY.
12. These are classified as gons, but I’m at a loss on how they work. RJCM gon 2022. Russellville KY.
13. RJCM gon 2021. Russellville KY.
14. R. J. Corman Central Kentucky Lines bulkhead flat 62223 is ex-Montana Rail Link, nee-BN. Russellville KY.
15. RJCC flat 35121 is ex-CEMR (Central Manitoba Railway). Russellville KY.
16. RJC 3803-3805 starts switching its train in Russellville as a RJC truck passes by. Russellville KY.
17. In the foreground is the line on south to Guthrie, Clarksville and Cumberland. RJC 3803-3805 is using the Logan Branch. Russellville KY.
18. RJC 3803-3805, GP38-2 ex-Sou GP38. Russellville KY.
19. RJC 3883-3805 is using the Tom Hammerstone Connection, a wye that leads to the Logan Branch, the former L&N Owensboro & Russellville Branch extending north to Lewisburg. Russellville KY.
20. L&N Evansvill division map. Click here for a larger map view.
21. From the Russellville end of the former L&N O&R branch, RJC operates it as far north as Lewisburg KY. L&N Evansville 1974. Click here for a slightly larger view of the timetable.
22. RJCM (R. J. Corman Memphis Line) box 4212 (ex-MP 267766) has a load of aluminum slabs for the Logan Aluminum rolling mill near Lewisburg. RJC also moves a unit train of aluminum slabs from Novelis’ recycling plant at Berea KY, to Russellville and Logan. Logan Aluminum is partly owned by Novelis, the world’s largest recycler of aluminum. Russellville KY.
23. Looking southwest from the Bus US 68 overpass, we see RJC’s office and shop in Russellville. RJC 3815 is parked in the distance. RJC had a similar building in Guthrie, but it was destroyed by fire several years ago. I wonder if this facility replaced the one in Guthrie. Russellville KY.
24. The former L&N depot in Russellville KY, looking northeast toward Bowling Green.
25. View showing the Logan Branch wye in relation to the depot. Ex-L&N depot. Russellville KY.
26. View from 09-27-2014 of RJC’s shop in Guthrie with 3813-7709 parked to the left. L&N’s Memphis line once crossed the Evansville-Nashville main line here at grade, but now RJC has to use a portion of the CSX main to get to the segment northeast to Russellville. This building was destroyed by fire, and I don’t know if it was built back. Guthrie KY.
All for now.