On our fall vacation trip to Pennsylvania we stayed the first night away at LaVale MD. We spent a few hours the next day photographing trains around the big Cumberland terminal.
1. We drove over to Ridgley WV, to see if ex-C&O 2-6-6-2 1309 might be visible. It wasn’t. “WM 501” was getting ready to make its run up to Frostburg. Ridgley WV.
2. WMSR 501. View 2. Ridgley WV.
3. At Virginia Street, CSX 5255 was departing west on work train W038-08 with 18 loads and 17 empties. Cumberland MD.
4. W/b empty tub train E781 stopped at the crosswalk for a crew change. CSX 487-3134 had 130 empties. Cumberland MD.
5. We headed to the east end of the yard at Mexico Tower. CSX 3182 was rolling in with e/b intermodal L135. Mexico MD.
6. At 11:06 Amtrak P030, the eastbound Capitol Limited crossed over with 8 cars. The scheduled departure time for Cumberland is 9:32 a.m., so the train is running a bit late. ATK 138-19. Mexico MD.
7. ATK GE P42DCs 138-19 are in charge today. View 2. Mexico MD.
8. Soon coal train N727-10 departs east with 65 loads behind CSX 3433-390. Mexico MD.
9. CSX DPUs 3158-356 are pushing. That’s Q371 waiting for a yard crew to drag it in. Mexico MD.
10. Next is e/b D720-11 departing for Hagerstown. On the front are CSX 5434-5461-5496. This train will s/o and p/u from the South Branch Valley at Green Springs. Mexico MD.
11. CSX 3026 Q016 follows to Hagerstown with plenty of Schneider and Hunt containers for the Chambersburg PA intermodal terminal out on the old WM toward Lurgan. NS evidently took up the former Reading down to Lurgan. NS uses the old PRR Cumberland Valley line. Mexico MD.
12. Q016 has CSX DPU 751. Mexico MD.
13. Finally the w/b freight parked under the bridge gets a yard crew to drag it into the yard. The bottom lunar light indicates restricting into the yard. CSX 5473-8804-4534-906-3256. Mexico MD.
14. CSX 5473-8804-4534-906-3256 provide the power on Q371. View 2. Mexico MD.
15. CSX 5473-8804-4534-906-3256. View 3. Mexico MD.
16. CSX 5473 Q371 pulls by the back of the hump tower and doubles over its train. CSX flat switches some trains but doesn’t hump anything here anymore. Cumberland MD.
17. CSX 5473 Q371’s engines have detached from the train. View 2. Cumberland MD.
18. The engines are now heading to the service area. CSX 5473. View 3. Cumberland MD.
19. Back at Mexico, CSX 3331 doubles e/b Q372 to another track. Mexico MD.
20. CSX 807-789 have e/b coal train N785-11 with 130 loads passing Q372. Mexico MD.
21. CSX DPUs 813-990 insure the coal train will stay ahead of Q372 which isn’t ready to leave. Mexico MD.
Speaking of leaving! That’s what we have to do if we want to get up to the Reading PA area before nightfall.
All for now.