CSX/RJC - Guthrie and Bowling Green KY 09-27 and 09-28-2014
Rail Fan Adventure --
Late in the day we rolled into Guthrie to have a brief look before proceeding on to find a motel. L&N’s Bowling Green-Memphis line used to cross the Evansville-Nashville line here. R. J. Corman Railroad operates what remains of the Memphis line which goes west into Tennessee. CSX’s Henderson SD is a busy main line.
1. Being a Saturday evening there was nothing going on except a street festival in downtown Guthrie. L&N’s Memphis line crossed the Henderson SD at grade, but RJC merely junctions with CSX on either side. No diamond. R J Corman Guthrie KY.
2. RJC GP38s 3813-7709. No. 7709 came from Conrail. Guthrie KY.
3. CSX’s Henderson SD is in the background. GP38-2 2628 is parked on the right. I was shocked to read that the shop burned down a couple of weeks later with several engines inside. R J Corman Guthrie KY.
4. There are crossovers on CSX’s double track main at Guthrie. This is looking south toward Nashville. There is a small yard on the right. CSX signals Guthrie KY.
5. CSX GP38-2 2628. Guthrie KY.
6. Looking north on the Henderson SD toward Madisonville and Evansville. RJC branches off the No. 2 Main on the right toward Bowling Green. CSX signals Guthrie KY.
7. CSX 2628 Guthrie KY View 2.
8. Approach on No. 2 for a northbound. Double track ends 1.2 miles north at “Moore.” CSX signals Guthrie KY.
9. Approach on No. 1 Main for a southbound. Double track also ends 1.2 miles south of here at “Ace.” CSX signals Guthrie KY.
It’s dark and we have to proceed on to Russellville to find a motel. As we get back on US 79 we hear the southbound calling signals on the scanner. An action shot at Guthrie will have to wait until another day.
10. On Sunday morning we left Russellville for the final lap home from vacation. At Bowling Green KY we found Memphis Jct. yard. This view is looking south. A CSX crew with a leased FURX (ex-NS) GP38-2 was working at the south end. CSX Memphis Jct. yard.
11. The scanner revealed that L133 was coming south by Cave City. Q534 (Nashville to Louisville freight) behind CSX 5106-8025-8048 with 71 cars (5,158 feet) would be meeting L133 north of Bowling Green KY.
12. Next northbound Q212 (Waycross to Louisville) behind CSX 5377-8780 with 62 empty multi-levels pulled into 11,355-foot Morgantown passing siding. Bowling Green KY.
13. CSX 5377-8780 Bowling Green KY. View 2.
14. Finally southbound L133 (North Baltimore, OH to Jacksonville intermodal) rolls by behind CSX 89-5265 with a 7,188-foot train of 320 axles. “L” denotes an alternate schedule or pick-up/set-out for the regular “Q” train. Bowling Green is in the background.
That is all the railfanning for this day. We visit an antique mall out by the Corvette museum, and then head straight for home.
Train images used by permission of Everett N Young