1. The early morning fog was hanging on when Jim Witten and I rushed out to Oaks TN, to get MHME (Markham Yard Chicago to Memphis) departing on 05-24-1998. SD40-2Rs 6016-6011 are ex-ICG model SD40A. These were built with extended SDP45 frames for long range 5000 gal. fuel tanks. They were upgraded by VMV in Paducah to dash 2 electrical standards. We would have liked to get a roster shot of these long units but... IC Fulton KY.
2. Now the main line has been moved over to the right and the track occupied by MHME supports a run-through car shop. IC Fulton KY.
3. MEMH (Memphis to Markham Yard) adds three ex-Southern GP38s to its train. These were brought down from Paducah where presumably they received work at VMV. IC Fulton KY.
4. ex-NS 2816-2763-2772 behind IC 6135-6143. IC Fulton KY.
5. MEMH enters single track northbound on the Cairo District at Buda KY. IC Fulton KY.
6. IC Yard engines 8722-8416 at the north end of Fulton yard. IC Fulton KY.
7. IC “GP11” 8711 is an ex-Reading GP7. IC Fulton KY.
8. IC GP38-2 9571 came through the merger with the GM&O. IC Fulton KY.
9. Down at Oaks MEES (Memphis to East St. Louis) is approaching behind 6110 and EMDX SD45 1768. IC Fulton KY.
10. Much to our disappointment we were not able to get a better shot of leased 1768 which came from the N&W. At the curve the switch to the Mayfield District has been removed. IC Fulton KY.
11. Back at the north end the yard job is weighing four covered hoppers. IC Fulton KY.
12. IC 8416-8722. Fulton KY.
13. Chicago Central & Pacific 8416 was one of 22 from this subsidiary on the roster at this time. IC Fulton KY.
14. The Cairo Local arrives behind “GP11” rebuilds 8713-8709. IC Fulton KY.
15. Chicago to New Orleans intermodal train IO-03 rolls in with a big cut of U. S. Army vehicles on the head end. IC 3135-3123 are rebuilt GP40s now called “GP40R”. IC and ICG’s diesel roster was just as complicated as their steam. At least they use model designations whereby in steam days there were no alpha/numeric class designations as on most other railroads. IC Fulton KY.
16. IO-03 changes crews as GECR (Geismar LA to Effingham IL Conrail) starts to pull. IC Fulton KY.
17. These SD40-2s are ex-BN. Nos. 6121-6118 have had their dynamic brakes removed. IC 6156 still has dynamic brakes although de-activated. IC Fulton KY.
It is early afternoon, and we have to hit the road. It is 443 miles to Pikeville at the other end of the state!