I took a vacation day on Wednesday, 12-18-2018, and spent the day from Williamson south on the Norfolk Southern main line to around Wharncliffe.
1. NS 9883-9363-2598-8150-2536 on e/b grain train 54W-13 (Bement IL – Winston-Salem NC) with 80 loads passes Sprigg WV. This train originated on the Bloomer Line (BLOL) at Gibson City IL.
2. Hatfield Bend Tunnels are just around the curve. NS 9883-9363-2598-8150-2536. Sprigg WV.
3. A work train with NS 6114 is parked on the Alma Spur. Alma WV.
4. This spur goes to the inactive Rawl Coal Sales Sprouse Creek Mine. NS 6114. Alma WV.
5. NS 7566-UP 6014 lead e/b 824-19 (Williamson – Wilcoe Yard) with 196 mtys at Sprigg WV. Train originated at Sandusky OH.
6. NS hopper 146313 commemorates coal Pier 6’s fifty years of service. Sprigg WV.
7. AMRX 2598. Lobata WV.
8. This former Southern GP30 has been at this mine for years, although it was owned by Massey Energy or Alpha Natural Resources. AMRX is a reporting mark for Amerimex Rail Solutions. Their website reveals that they scrap locomotives and resell the parts. They indicate they will scrap on site. Better get your pix now. AMRX 2598. Lobata WV.
9. NS 9537-9648-UP 4477 lead w/b 233-18 (Norfolk – Chicago-Landers) at Vulcan WV with 31/0 vans. This is a very reliable train to see in the late morning. In the old days it was called NCO-1.
10. Those multi-levels are stored on the center siding at Vulcan WV. NS 9537-9648-UP 4477.
11. NS hopper 146313 again. Beech Creek WV.
12. The automatic signal at Vulcan indicates 233 is still in the second block ahead. 824-19 is stopped on Main 2. NS signal. Vulcan WV.
13. 824’s head end is looking at a stop signal at Beech Creek WV. NS 7566-UP 6014.
14. UP calls 6014 a “C44ACCTE.” Beech Creek WV.
15. NS 9809-8358-9621 lead w/b freight 195-18 (Linwood – Bellevue) by 824 with 37 lds/61 mtys. Beech Creek WV.
16. 824-19 gets rolling east. NS 7566 was doing all the pullin’ on the 196 mtys, as the UP was not running. I would think UP 6014 would be needed as the grade stiffens further east. Beech Creek WV.
17. NS 8989-1168 on e/b J42-19 came off the Buchanan Branch with 106 loads of Tidewater coal from the Buchanan Mine. More cars were added, and it became 822-20. J42 is passing the Old Joe signals just east of Wharncliffe. Old Joe WV.
18. NS 7278-9115-9804 hustle w/b 217-19 (Linwood – Chicago-Calumet) at Glen Alum WV with 34/3 vans.
19. NS 7305 leads 7503-8440-PRLX 619-2728-2651-9476-8971-PRLX 604 near Glen Alum with e/b 188-18 (Bellevue VA - Crewe VA) with 104/18 time freight. Devon WV.
20. Progress Rail may build Caterpillar-engined locomotives of EMD ancestry, but they stock ex-CSX GE AC60s in their lease fleet! PRLX 619. Devon WV.
21. PRLX 604. Devon WV.
22. NS 8001 has 110 empties of e/b 885-17 in tow at Devon WV. The train originated at Indiana Harbor Coke in East Chicago.
23. While 885 was passing on Main 1, no. 757-17 roared west on Main 2. 7261-4080 had 126 rapid-discharge TILX, MILX and WFRX empties. This train runs from the Belews Creek NC power plant to Williamson. Some of these load at the Big Omer Mine (fka Marrowbone Development) near Naugatuck. TILX hopper 421718. Devon WV.
Time to head home for supper.