This first group of shots were made Saturday, 01-05-2019, when Sue and I made a shopping trip to Williamson. Most of these were made at the water plant beside the flood wall gates.
1. NS AC44C6M 4061. A former Dash 9-40C unit converted to AC traction. Williamson WV 01-05-2019.
2. NS 9500-4072-4075 pull slowly by the yard on 233 (Norfolk - Chicago-Landers) on their way from Bluefield to Portsmouth. Williamson WV.
3. NS D9-44CW 9500. Williamson WV. Dash 9-44CW.
4. NS 9500-4072-4075 Williamson WV. The former N&W depot (now the city hall) is in the background.
5. Eastbound time freight 188 arrives behind NS 7321-CEFX 1044-3533-2667-6804-6782-3527-2775-6788. That took some fast writing! Williamson WV.
6. NS 7321-1044-3533-2667-6804-6782-3527-2775-6788. Leaving the yard at Rawl WV and heading to Bluefield.
7. NS 8314 –9006-6947-75?? lead w/b 189-13 (Elkhart IN – Crewe VA) at Naugatuck WV with 32 loads/46 empties. That’s the Lenore Branch (Pigeon Creek) east leg of wye in the foreground. 02-14-2019.
8. NS bulkhead flats 113322 and 113493 loaded with steel from Steel Dynamics in Roanoke to Steel of West Virginia in Kenova. Naugatuck WV.
9. Dana Railcare tanker (DNAX) 125033 has a load of chemical from Advansix Co. in Hopewell VA to Argo IL (Allchem Industries). This car was built by ARI (American Railcar Industries Inc.) which acquired ACF Industries in 1994. Naugatuck WV.
10. ex-NW Dingess Tunnel (3,326 feet in length) was on the original extension to Ohio when built in 1892. The Twelve Pole line had a steep grade coming the 9.2 miles up from Lenore, and the area it traversed provided less business than originally thought. Ten years later the main line was relocated to the banks of the Tug Fork and the Big Sandy to Kenova.
11. ex-NW Dingess Tunnel. View 2.
12. ex-NW Dingess Tunnel. It evidently had some maintenance in 1914. View 3.
13. ex-NW Dingess Tunnel. This is the east portal.
14. NS 4106-4092 (DCs converted to ACs) lead eastbound grain train 42N-01 (Montpelier OH to Norfolk) with 85 loads at Nolan WV. This train of soybeans loaded at The Andersons in Reading MI on the Indiana Northeastern and is going to Perdue AgriBusiness in Chesapeake VA on the Norfolk-Portsmouth Belt Line. Perdue has a soy crush plant, grain storage and a deep water vessel terminal for export at Chesapeake. Nolan WV.
15. The Nolan Branch – once a big producer -- has been inactive lately, but hopefully the Sidney mine will resume limited loading. NS 4106-4092. Nolan WV.
16. What had been a sub-average day on NS suddenly turned into the “Big Bonanza.” Parked at East Williamson was “N&W” 8103 and “CNJ” 1071 on an eastbound coal train! Yes!! NS 8103-1071. Williamson WV.
17. NS ES44AC 8103 is in the lead and clean! Williamson WV.
18. NS ES44AC 8103. Williamson WV. View 2.
19. “CNJ” 1071 is a SD70ACe. Needs a wash! NS SD70ACe 1071. Williamson WV.
20. NS SD70ACe 1071. Williamson WV. View 2.
21. This is one of CNJ’s earliest paint schemes...before the olive green and red/white. NS SD70ACe 1071. Williamson WV.
22. I headed back up to the east end of the yard at Rawl WV. It was getting late, but trains were coming. First is eastbound 236-14 (Rickenbacker OH – Norfolk) behind NS 9101-8125-9975 with 27 vans.
23. An NS approach signal indicates a westbound. Rawl WV.
24. NS 4054-9559 have 217-14 westbound (Linwood NC – Chicago-Calumet) with 30 vans. Rawl WV.
25. Next comes westbound 17M-13 (Linwood NC – Elkhart IN) with 37 loads and 108 empties. There was a lot of ethanol tanks on this train. It was routed into the yard. This train was 8,256 tons, 9,120 feet in length. We’re in the big train era! NS 4044-9182-9365. Rawl WV.
26. On CSX this would be a “medium approach” meaning to go through the crossovers and be prepared to stop at the next signal. This is what he did. NS 4044-9182-9385. Rawl WV.
27. I saw the headlight of an eastbound waiting for 17M to clear. Eastbound 756-12 (Williamson – Belews Creek NC power plant) with NS 8103-1071 blasts out of town with 110 loads. NS 1037-7271 were on the rear in DPU mode. This train loaded at the Big Omer mine, fka Marrowbone Development, at Naugatuck. Rawl WV.
28. NS 8103-1071. These were WFRX, FURX, TILX cars with those Cardinal stickers on each car (a Louisville fan?). I’ll show those later. Rawl WV.
I’m late for supper and hungry!