We took Elizabeth to Williamson on the afternoon of August 8th for a dental appointment, and after dinner we took a swing around town to see what was happening on the Norfolk Southern.
1. BNSF 5434 8102 8137. A surprise, but not that unusual on NS. Williamson WV.
2. NS 8074-9809-9596 accelerate No. 218-08 e/b (Chicago to Linwood, NC) out of town with 21x5 vans. Williamson WV.
3. Clear signal at Sycamore Cut. NS 8074-9809-9596. Williamson WV. View 2.
4. The 3:00 PM Yard job switches at the west end. NS no. 6175 has been the regular yard engine here for years. An “oldie but goodie.” Williamson WV.
5. UP 4237-5029-NS-9960-2353-6128 roll to a stop for a crew change on e/b time freight No. 188-08 (Bellevue-Crewe VA) with 62 loads and 61 empties. NS recently removed a track at this location and configured the signals. The CPL located at the tie plate pile is now gone. Williamson WV.
6. UP SD70M 4237. Williamson WV.
7. UP 5029 is also an SD70M, but with a different radiator. Williamson WV.
8. NS MP15DC 2353. Another “golden oldie.” Williamson WV.
9. NS MP15DC 2353. View 2. Williamson WV.
10. NS MP15DC 2353. View 3. Williamson WV.
11. UP 4237-5029 NS9960. Williamson WV.
12. No. 195 (Linwood to Bellevue) pulls up by the flood wall for a crew change with UP 8764-NS 6715-1009. Tonight 195 has 28 loads and 83 empties. Williamson WV.
13. Kasgro Rail Corp. (KRL) 20-wheel depressed flat 204001 has a capacity of 899,500 lbs. It was built in 2008. From their website, KRL has acquired many of these cars from the major railroads. Williamson WV.
14. No. 195 heads for Portsmouth, OH. UP 8764-6715-1009. Williamson WV.
15. No. 195 heads for Portsmouth OH. UP 8764-6715-1009. View 2. Williamson WV.
16.E/b double stack 234 arrives. NS 9782. Williamson WV.
17. No. 234-07 (Landers Yard-Chicago to Norfolk) has NS 9782-9141-7546 and 14x1 vans. Williamson WV.
18. No. 188 stopped east of Williamson to let the hotter 234 get ahead. We head over the hills to Pikeville, about a half-hour drive. NS 9782-9141-7546. Williamson WV.